• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

custom kit for CPU+GPU or each with its own no maintenance kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prixone

Hi everyone,

I've been planning to setup a water cooler to my GPU as well since my CPU is already cooled with a H100i and I was wondering what would be the best course of action to cool the GPU+VRAM.

Should I make my own kit or buy one of the no maintenance kits like G10 GPU BRACKET with for instance an H80 corsair?

My main issue is that I need something that will in fact cool down the VRAM because that's is my only issue, with my current video card and the stock cooler the GPU is always within an acceptable temp however the VRAM always goes hotter due to the place I live so I need something that can cool it down along with the GPU.

I've read some reviews that the G10 doesn't do that efficiently and I was wondering what would be a best fit for it, the video card is a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x with a Maximus V Gene/i7 2700K.

I am mainly looking for advices on what would be the best option a custom built kit or a no maintenance one and which parts should I buy if the later?

The main advantage I see with a no maintenance one is that I never made my own and I am rather scared of having it leak on me aside from that since I already have the H100i and a H80 I would only have to buy the bracket I guess?

Looking forward to some answers.

RAM cooling is meaningless.

Your GPU won't OC better if watercooled as it already has a very good aftermarket cooler.

If you want better perf, don't waste your money and time: sell the Toxic and get a GTX 970.

Custom loops are a lot of work (reason I've never been interested in them). If that (or the possibility of leaks from user error) scares you, I'd stick with the AIO or air options.

The G10/AIO option for GPUs does not cool the VRM area or RAM. You'll need to also purchase heatsinks for these and ensure they have fans (from the G10 or otherwise) blowing on them. This is especially true if you live in a warm area (?).

Have you ensured you have proper airflow in your case?

EDIT: Manu brings up a good point for you to consider. You're going to be putting a decent amount of money and time into this. You'll probably be a lot better off selling your current card and picking up a 970 which will run cooler anyway. That's what I would do :)

You'll probably be a lot better off selling your current card and picking up a 970 which will run cooler anyway.

This +1.
What fans do you have? How many? Where in the case? Which direction are they blowing?

The lower power output of the 970 will help the whole system run cooler, and put less heat into your room.
Which is a HUGE help in a high ambient temperature condition like yours.

Not to mention that the 970 is faster than a 280X.
As well as the cost of a custom loop being higher than your cost if you bought a 970 and sold your 280X.

I've went as far as testing with a thermometer in several different areas of my CASE(with it closed ofc) to have an avg of what is the temp around every part of it and the only part that is actually hot is around the video card itself more precisely on the red marked area of the below illustrated image:

H1PmVp2.png

Around that area I get a variation of 70~90c depending on room and all other temps together.

I've had several different video cards and since the room it self can get pretty hot around 40c avg+ and I can't maintain computers + air conditioner on 24/7, I tough that I could perhaps cut down the heat to half by using a water cooler on the GPU and extend it to the VRAM if at all possible, since it would dissipate most of the GPU heat and what would be left of is mainly the CASE flow temp to be dealt with.

The case is a HAF 932 with 2x12 at the front 1 at the back 4 at the top, the CPU with an H100i and the video card with the stock one which is 3 coolers.

Due to the temps here I've always had worst experiences using NVIDIA as they always go hotter than anything I ever had making it non-functional a lot faster than RANDEON.

The G10/AIO option for GPUs does not cool the VRM area or RAM. You'll need to also purchase heatsinks for these and ensure they have fans (from the G10 or otherwise) blowing on them. This is especially true if you live in a warm area (?).

From the reviews on that G!) with heatsink most people have said it makes barelly any difference, but the fact you would have a lot less heat coming from the GPU might balance things out?

I think so as the only real area I have with high heat is part of the video card everything else is pretty okish on temps like 30~40 less.

RAM cooling is meaningless.

Your GPU won't OC better if watercooled as it already has a very good aftermarket cooler.

If you want better perf, don't waste your money and time: sell the Toxic and get a GTX 970.

Never had any good experiences with NVIDIA so I completely stopped using those for a long time now.

The new nvidia cards are game changers. No real reason to stick to one camp for longer than a generation anyway, but definitely do not overlook Maxwell. They run at about half the temp of the AMD R9s and perform 20%+ better for comparable prices.

I have AMD cards right now (280x and 290) because they were much better price-performance up until a couple weeks ago. If I needed anything more than what I have now performance-wise, I would definitely jump on a 970.

The new nvidia cards are game changers. No real reason to stick to one camp for longer than a generation anyway, but definitely do not overlook Maxwell. They run at about half the temp of the AMD R9s and perform 20%+ better for comparable prices.

I have AMD cards right now (280x and 290) because they were much better price-performance up until a couple weeks ago. If I needed anything more than what I have now performance-wise, I would definitely jump on a 970.

What I am afraid of is if I jump to it and the same thing happens I would still be on the same boat, I understand they heat less but it might not be the case for me, giving the location and conditions. So I am looking for a definitive solution with water cooling.

It's not that they "heat less" it's that they physically use ~100W less power.
That power doesn't have to be dissipated, causing a temperature drop within your whole case.

You also still didn't list WHAT FANS you're using. Brand and model make a HUGE difference.

Do you realize how much money you'll spend to watercool your CPU and your GPU with a custom loop?
And (for your situation) how poor of a job an AIO will do on your GPU?

His main issue here I see is his ambient temps. He gets VERY hot ambient air. Is there no AC or does the electricity drop where you live? Depending on what you want to use your GPU for, I'd also advise on going to a 980/970 or lower than 150w GPU. I would possibly down clock things if your ambient is often in the 40c area.

When you say you want to cut down the heat in half with watercooling, are you talking about your CPU/GPU or your air temps? Its a lose, lose situation when you're in 40c+ air temps. That will be used as the "cool" air for your loop and just replenish with more heat.

I don't know if I'd go water cooling in this case. Not worth the money because you don't have cool enough air to show for. Your water cooling will only stay above ambient temp. To get to sub ambient, you'll need something else to get lower than your already high ambient temps. You'd be wasting your money. I would save up on a AC unit that can work almost 24/7 and reconfigure your airflow in your case. I'd even go down the chiller route if your power source can handle one and know what you are doing.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the answers so far.

I've heard the 970 have 2 main problems and is what was the main issue for bad reviews, the 1.0 ACX and the whine coin does anyone know or can confirm if those have been resolved?

Also does the box state anywhere so I can identify it is ACX2.0?

These are the only 2 models of 970/980 I have currently available at local stores to buy:

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 1000USD (prices including importing taxes)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 700USD (prices including importing taxes)

You also still didn't list WHAT FANS you're using. Brand and model make a HUGE difference.
Sorry, aside from the sizes listed I only know that they are the custom ones that come with the HAF case and the custom ones that come with the H100i from corsair.

I would open the case to check but I'm moving out so that might take a few days to happen.

Do you realize how much money you'll spend to watercool your CPU and your GPU with a custom loop?
And (for your situation) how poor of a job an AIO will do on your GPU?

I've never made a custom loop before so honestly I don't know the price but I think it would be something on the 600? If I were to get an AIO it would be something on the 400.

My main question, is it possible for the dissipated heat of the GPU to greatly affect the VRAM with the custom air cooler? If that is so I think the AIO might actually work for me.

As I early mentioned the temps inside the case are not 40c in all places the temps inside vary from 30~40c or less except for that one place next to the red marked place on the above video card.

Is there no AC or does the electricity drop where you live?
Yes, I do have an AC but as stated can't use it 24/7 or at any time I wish/need.

Not entirely sure on what you mean by energy drop but I use a sine UPS on all my equips and I never had any issues with energy even if the AC is on.

Depending on what you want to use your GPU for, I'd also advise on going to a 980/970 or lower than 150w GPU. I would possibly down clock things if your ambient is often in the 40c area.

Pretty much gaming or at least that is the only thing that makes it go hot :p

When you say you want to cut down the heat in half with watercooling, are you talking about your CPU/GPU or your air temps? Its a lose, lose situation when you're in 40c+ air temps. That will be used as the "cool" air for your loop and just replenish with more heat.

I've explained this in this reply above, what I meant by that is that I believe the GPU is what is throwing most of the hot air to the VRAM's of course I am no expert to affirm that, but if that is really the case having an AIO water cooler might actually drop the VRAM heat enough to make it run in safe temps?

I'd even go down the chiller route if your power source can handle one and know what you are doing.

I don't think I understood this part if you don't mind on explaining it I would appreciate.

Last edited:
I've heard the 970 have 2 main problems and is what was the main issue for bad reviews, the 1.0 ACX and the whine coin does anyone know or can confirm if those have been resolved?

Also does the box state anywhere so I can identify it is ACX2.0?
ACX 2.0 doesn't have the "issues" as far as I have heard. Yes, it will be stated as ACX 2.0, check it against EVGA's site and their part number to be sure.

Sorry, aside from the sizes listed I only know that they are the custom ones that come with the HAF case and the custom ones that come with the H100i from corsair.

I would open the case to check but I'm moving out so that might take a few days to happen.
That says all I need to know. stock fans in a case are "meh" at best. The H100i fans are "okay".
Better fans will help you get the hot air out of the case.

I've never made a custom loop before so honestly I don't know the price but I think it would be something on the 600? If I were to get an AIO it would be something on the 400.
You'll be looking in the $500 USD range for a custom setup, if you go with a minimalistic setup.

My main question, is it possible for the dissipated heat of the GPU to greatly affect the VRAM with the custom air cooler? If that is so I think the AIO might actually work for me.
First, what you boxed earlier isn't the vRAM. It's the voltage regulation portion of the GPU.
The power section will stay hot on that 280X unless you have direct cooling to it, no matter what.

As I early mentioned the temps inside the case are not 40c in all places the temps inside vary from 30~40c or less except for that one place next to the red marked place on the above video card.
See above comment about what that section is.

I've explained this in this reply above, what I meant by that is that I believe the GPU is what is throwing most of the hot air to the VRAM's of course I am no expert to affirm that, but if that is really the case having an AIO water cooler might actually drop the VRAM heat enough to make it run in safe temps?
You'll be MUCH better off having a GPU that uses less power than trying to cool yours with an AIO.

See my answers in red.

Tomorrow I will go by the store to check the case, the part numbers match but EVGA site doesn't mention ACX 2.0 anywhere.

I found some images of an ACX 2.0 and the box states 2.0 at the top right corner as well as the card have it written by the corner.

First, what you boxed earlier isn't the vRAM. It's the voltage regulation portion of the GPU.

Thanks for clearing that out

The power section will stay hot on that 280X unless you have direct cooling to it, no matter what.

With the G10 you can place a cooler directly on top of it, but perhaps there is a better bracket for this goal?

Wouldn't the water cooler on the GPU also reduce the heat dissipated to that area or is that not accurate and highly depends on the rest of the case coolers?

The power delivery section has it's own heat generated.
Just putting an AIO and a fan on there will be basically the same as the stock cooler in terms of cooling the power delivery section.

You need less power usage. Period.
It's the only way you'll be able to reduce temperatures by a meaningful amount in a high ambient situation.

If you go with the ACX 2.0 cooler, don't bother sticking a AIO cooler to it. This is also for one GPU right?

The AIO GPU coolers are brackets as you already understand that is installed on the GPU's PCB. You're able to install the AIO cooler on the GPU bracket to cool the GPU and install a fan to the VRM/Power Phase portion of the PCB on the bracket. You're worried about the other part of the PCB running too hot when running the AIO GPU cooler. Well, the video you posted pretty much sums it all up.

My average ambient temps depending on the season range from 20c-25c summer time when the AC is on to 30c average in winter time. My air exhaust from my case at full load averages around 35c-37c. It's a little warm but not ridiculously hot. My question to you is what is your ambient room temperature but since you're moving, you won't know that answer till you settle in is my guess.

If you go with the ACX 2.0 cooler, don't bother sticking a AIO cooler to it. This is also for one GPU right?
Currently trying to see if any local store have it, because if I have to import it myself it will be a huge hassle specially if it comes with any issues that makes me RMA it.

The only place I found one, seems to be the 1.0 which I would refrain from getting, they getting a new package of it today so maybe they get any 2.0 will see.

My average ambient temps depending on the season range from 20c-25c summer time when the AC is on to 30c average in winter time. My air exhaust from my case at full load averages around 35c-37c. It's a little warm but not ridiculously hot. My question to you is what is your ambient room temperature but since you're moving, you won't know that answer till you settle in is my guess.

Currently 40c is the ambient room temp but that is because the place get morning and afternoon sun and I will be moving to a new apartment that only gets morning sun and is higher so it gets a lot of fresh air in and out so at the new place I am yet to know if I will ever have the same issue but its highly likely I will be able to keep AC 24/7 there if I have to. But if I ever have to move again who knows...

Inside the case the ambient temp is slight different in different parts of it ranging from 20~40c

I would hold on this project till you move in and get a nice temp of your ambient room temp and work from there. You might be moving to a much cooler environment for all we know.

Take a few shots of your computer internals for us. Like to see whats going on in there.

I would hold on this project till you move in and get a nice temp of your ambient room temp and work from there. You might be moving to a much cooler environment for all we know.

Take a few shots of your computer internals for us. Like to see whats going on in there.

Once I finish moving I will do that, I am rather lazy to mov the CASE around plus the bad lightning here and since I will have to move it once I move, I will have plenty of space and lighting to take pictures I will update this thread once I completely these step which should be by the end of this month.

Once I finish moving I will do that, I am rather lazy to mov the CASE around plus the bad lightning here and since I will have to move it once I move, I will have plenty of space and lighting to take pictures I will update this thread once I completely these step which should be by the end of this month.

Sounds good. :thup:

Haven't moved yet, but I just heard from the store guy, they will have "NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/256bits Gigabyte Windforce - GV-N970WF3OC-4GD" by the end of the week and I would like to know if this is just as good or better than the other card I was above mentioning or it needs to be the ACX cooling?

They both have max ± 145W TDP this is what I need to pay attention to regardless right?

Thanks again for all the help :)

Back