• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Rumor] Nvidia GTX 980 Ti or Titan X (GM200)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40305/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-or-gtx-titan-x-gm200-teased/index.html

NVIDIA has impressed the world with the launch of its second generation Maxwell-based GPUs, the GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980. The cards sip power compared to their already power conservative predecessors, but introduce a slew of new technologies, features and best of all: a great price point. Where to from here? GM200, that's where.

GM200 is now being teased, which is going to be the big new GPU from NVIDIA. NVIDIA's GM200 will feature a die size of 551mm^2, 20-22 SMMs, 2560-2816 CUDA cores, a 384-bit memory bus, a performance boost of around 50% over the GTX Titan Black Edition, with it launching sometime before the end of the year. What it'll arrive as, in terms of naming, is a mystery. With the power efficiency of the GM204 core, which powers the GTX 970 and GTX 980, we should expect a dual-GPU card offered as the GeForce GTX 990, so that's one name it won't use.

Ready for this, the 980 is a nice card, just no reason to get one if you have a 780Ti

This is the release I am waiting for along with all the high power cards that will go along with it

Sounds quite promising, can't wait to see it in real life.

Classified, if the last Lightning is anything to judge by.
Or, for you, K|ngp|n Edition :p

By my best guess, a GM200 should be in the 200W ballpark.
Based on how power scales from 970 to 980.

And the 384-bit bus insinuates 6GB vRAM :drool:

I will be interesting to see if Vince releases a 980Ti KPE

But the 780TI Matrix and Lightings were very strong as well.

Unfortunately the 780Ti Lightning never saw retail and were only handed out to the top guys.

That is why they are sitting out the 980 and waiting for the Ti to hit the streets

Its going to be whichever one is the easiest to bypass the power and voltage limits NVIDIA has imposed...

If everything goes as planned, I should grab a x99/5820k combo by the end of next week.

I guess I'll hold on my 280x's until this beast is out...

Agree, if this is released by the end of the year many early adopters will be wishing they waited

I wonder why they went with a 384-bit memory data bus? Didn't their marketing blurbs for the 970/980 series imply a memory data bus
larger than 256-bit was unnecessary?

Yep. And I'm sure their marketing for the cards with 384 will imply we can't live without it ;)

I wonder why they went with a 384-bit memory data bus? Didn't their marketing blurbs for the 970/980 series imply a memory data bus

This (flagship) GPU is going to be targeting 4K resolution performance. The 970/980 hit their sweet spot at 1440p.

Did any of the reviews for the 980/970 cover bus saturation?

No, but none of them seemed to choke at 4K.

But (if rumored specs are anything to go by) this flagship GPU should be able to get off of low/mid settings for 4K.

Canyou link somewhere that said that in NVIDIA's marketing?

Page 10 and 11 talk about their new compression system and how the demands it places on bandwidth (favorably) compare to older gen cards (some with wider buses).

That still doesn't say a wider bus than 256-bit is "unnecessary", it just explains how the new compression works ;)

Back