• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking Prob Help!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DECODER22

Disabled
ok guys i wana hook up a network for my friend on his 2 computers the problem is his DSl modem only plugs into the pc USB only no ther way jsut USB into the cpu how do i netowrk 2 pcs with that USB dsl modem???????????

If its for only two computers then you could do the following:

Install NICs in each Machine.
Connect them using a Crossover Cable.
Use Internet Connection sharing to share the connection from one machine.

Disadvantage is that the machine connected to the Modem must be on for the other machine to connect.

hey i herd i needed to use straight Cat 5 and i needed to install WIndows 2000 adv server on the main machine

If you would only use straight cables if you were going to use a hub/switch/router. For a direct connection between two machines you need a crossover cable.

Using a hub/switch/router is an option if your freind is going to be adding machines to their network.

I can't see a need for Windows 2k (advanced) Server , 98se had the internet sharing built in. You could use a proxy server to share the connection on any OS that supports USB.

What OS's are the two machines using and how far apart are they ?

When you connect two machines directly, you are going to need a crossover cable. Another idea I just thought of would be to buy a DSL switch/router (I have a linksys, but doesn't have USB) that has both USB and Cat5 connections. Connect the cable modem to switch and then get cat5 cable and connect them from the hub to each individual pc.

EDIT: Looks like Red Hot Machine beat me to the post. Guess I should learn to type faster:p

VaTechHokies said:
When you connect two machines directly, you are going to need a crossover cable. Another idea I just thought of would be to buy a DSL switch/router (I have a linksys, but doesn't have USB) that has both USB and Cat5 connections. Connect the cable modem to switch and then get cat5 cable and connect them from the hub to each individual pc.

EDIT: Looks like Red Hot Machine beat me to the post. Guess I should learn to type faster:p

:)

I know Draytek do a USB router but it is really hard to setup. I couldn't find one made my Netgear or Linksys. If people know off one then let us know.

Here are some basic instructions on how to set it up. Any questions please ask.

Install NIC in machine

Go into Network properties by Right clicking on Network Neighbourhood
If the following are not already installed, then install them

TCP/IP Protocol
Networking for Microsoft Networking
File and Print Sharing * Only if you want to share files as well.

Set the workgroup to the same on each machine e.g. Home

Then on the machine with the modem attached install Internet Sharing. (See below for 2k)
To enable Internet connection sharing on a network connection
1. Open Network and Dial-up Connections.
2. Right-click the dial-up, VPN, or incoming connection you want to share, and then click Properties.
3. On the Sharing tab, select the Enable Internet connection sharing for this connection check box.
4. If you want this connection to dial automatically when another computer on your home network attempts to access external resources, select the Enable on-demand dialing check box.

Then setup the client machine to connect to the internet using the Lan, with autodetect proxy settings check box ticked.

Last edited:
hey guys i got the 2 computers networked comp a sees comp b but b dosent see a and b has the internet and i did that internet sharing thing but it didnt work

I couple things to try:

1. Are they both using the same work group.

2. Do they both have the same ip range e.g 192.168.x.x

3. I take it machine b has 2k, try adding a user to that machine with the same user name that is used on machine a

4. Make sure that both machines don't log in as the same user name.

Last edited:
I would like to know if there are any job openings at the place that told you that you need advanced server to accomplish what you are trying to accomplish, if not, there should be.

Listen to these guys here. They are leading you down the right trail. If you plan on keeping that USB modem then ICS is the way to go.

ya i know this msg board rules all tech i always talk to always tell me the wrong things LOL its liek they know nothing about computers some of them lol

Here's an idea. Why don't you get a USB->Ethernet converer. NIC's all around and a router. Set up a standard ethernet network

Back