• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reverse Osmosis water.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ClydeFrog

Whats up everyone! I am going to be completing my first loop this week as soon as my parts arrive. Quick question. I was at the store and saw a big *** container of drinking water. I saw reverse osmosis on it so I knew that was good. However, after reading the fine print it said they have added some minerals for taste but in such a small value it doesn't effect nutritional values. I know you are supposed to use distilled, deionized, or reverse osmosis water for its purity and you don't want to use tap water because of the hard minerals it contains.

My question is, although they have added minerals for taste, I feel that it is in such a small amount just to make the water not taste "flat". Do you think that this water would be fine for the loop? I feel like there isn't going to that much added to it that it would cause a buildup problem or be corrosive unlike the amount found in tap water. Let me know what you guys think or if I should try and find a 100% mineral free water. Thanks guys/gals.

I would get battery top up distilled rather than try it.

both distilled and reverse osmosis water should be less than 10ppm dissolved solids.
however if the water you have found is simulating e.g. spring water then it could have calcium and magnesium salts up to 250ppm (as reverse osmosis water could thurther have been passed through an ion / cation exchange unit to achieve 18megohm lab grade and is undrinkable as it passes right through the kidney membranes)
deionized is also very pure 18megohm lab grade by definition.

what`s right for human consumption is less than ideal for equipment in short. And battery top up is easy to obtain from garages etc :)

Thank you for the very informative reply. Much better than people spewing out answers with no explanation. I'll look around for some distilled.

:cool: I was a tropical fish breeding nerd before I migrated to water cooling (used to make RO water 250 litres a day) :thup:

Just use distilled water. Going RO/DI can be a cluster. When water to cleaned up to a near pure state it becomes very unstable. It will leech what it needs from copper, brass and aluminum not to mention other materials. I to keep fish. At times pure RO/DI water is needed. But one has to buffer it back up with pure minerals.

I work with pumps, chillers, heat exchangers, pipe and controls every day at work. I love it when said smart college grad thinks they need to fill there closed loop system with RO/DI then think the standard chemicals used in the industry will stabilize there ultra clean water. I get to sell them lots of ate up parts down the road. $$$$$$

Just say no to RO,

RO water is very agressive, RO spouts are lined with plastic so it can't eat the spout away

I am In the industry

I would get battery top up distilled rather than try it.

both distilled and reverse osmosis water should be less than 10ppm dissolved solids.
however if the water you have found is simulating e.g. spring water then it could have calcium and magnesium salts up to 250ppm (as reverse osmosis water could thurther have been passed through an ion / cation exchange unit to achieve 18megohm lab grade and is undrinkable as it passes right through the kidney membranes)
deionized is also very pure 18megohm lab grade by definition.

what`s right for human consumption is less than ideal for equipment in short. And battery top up is easy to obtain from garages etc :)

If you're getting a TDS of 10PPM out of your R/O unit you need a new membrane because that's total cow poop.

yawn...

see your comprehension skills are coming on ocnoob :D

Back