• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 280x low FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

norbelkingston

Hi everyone. I just got my card a month ago and I'm pretty new to pc gaming so I didn't know how fast it should be or how to check my FPS. So last night i played witcher 2 and nba 2k15 and I'm having horrible FPS,
the witcher 2 is at 30 fps while nba 2k15 is below 20 and compared to benchmarks i saw online with similar cards, this is really low. I also checked my GPU usage and it's around 30%. I did a clean install of my drivers and nothing changed. Here's my spec:

CPU: phenom 2 x6 1055t 2.8 GHZ.
GPU: r9 280x tri-x 3GB
RAM: 8 GB.

DO you guys know a solution to this?

Hi Earthdog! Thanks :)

I'm playing at 1080p and everything at high on witcher 2. On 2k15 even on medium and low I'm below 25 fps. I've checked other forums and other users with lower build than mine can play these games pretty well.

I'm using the Beta driver right now and I don't have ubersampling enabled as well. I tried NBA 2k14 just now and I'm getting only 25 FPS. This is not even a next gen game.

But the article is playing at 1650p. Also, is it possible for my CPU to hold my FPS by this much? I'm getting 25 fps on a last gen game such as NBA 2k14 with r9 280x.

I have no idea what 1650p is (1680x1050 is my guess) and it has 1920x1200 results...web wheel down the article...

The Witcher 2 I know is a CPU heavy game. So I would try overclocking it and see if that helps (see AMD overclocking guide in my signature).

What happens if you drop the shadow settings down to low?

Hi. I borrowed a card from my friend, it's radeon HD 6790 he said he can play games decent on this. I tried this on my machine and I got 7 fps with everythin on normal. I already tried clean installing my drivers. So what could be wrong here? Please Help.

EDIT: Game is assassins creed 4 black flag

6790 is way slower than your 280x. Not sure I'd expect 7fps... But...terribly slow card for modern titles.

There is something wrong.

I used to play Witcher 2 with a X6 (OC'ed, I admit) and a 7970, and with US disabled, I was standing between 50 and 60FPS.

CHeck your your ressource monitor in the task manager (performance tab), check also the processes and see if something eats the resources.

my Cpu utilization while playing is around 13-25%. is that enough? My temps are okay, i am around 42C. What could be wrong here?

I also tried the 6790 card in NBA 2k14 and it's the same with my r9 280x which was around 30FPS. Could this be a faulty card?

Back