• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New BIOS/UEFI for MSI X99S SLI Plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I know it's not really popular platform but I know some users got this board and previous BIOS releases were not perfect so they can try new version:
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/X99S-SLI-PLUS.html#down-bios

- Improved M.2 device compatibility.
- Improved NV Titan vga card compatibility.
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Fixed Turbo Boost can not normal work after resume from S3 mode.

Weird that released 26.09.2014 and they posted it today. On EU site version 1.2 wasn't available couple of days ago when I was checking.

it seems like all manufactures really pushed this out with some bugs, already on my fourth BIOS for my x99 board

You have ASRock , they're bad and have 30 hidden betas :p ... but really ASRock cares to fix BIOSes, I had ASUS boards with 30+ bios releases and support stopped to make fixes after couple of months when boards were still having some issues.

I just tried MSI x99s sli plus bios versoin 1.3. I used the EUFI mflash feature to do it. I was running 1.2. After the 1.3 install, Windows couldn't load, wanting the install disk to do a repair. But it could not repair claiming wrong system. Tried it again with 1.3. Same failure. Installed the old 1.2 BIOS, again with the UEFI mflash feature and I have my machine back.

This machine does not O/C well at all. Even the O/C genie setting fail.

Any suggestions?

Configuration:
MSI X99s SLI PLUS
i7-5830K
64 GB Red Ripjaws (should do 2666 but not stable at 2400)
Samsung m.2 256gb stick
Mushkin Scorpion 930(?) ssd
Apricorn Solo x2 with two Mushkin Deluxe 240gb drives.
Antec RM850 S/S
Corsair H80I watercooling.

I had no problems on my board with 5820K @4.5GHz and 32GB Crucial 2133@2666 fully stable. Tbh on ASUS RVE I can't make 5820K fully stable while on MSI I could.

1.1 BIOS is the best for overclocking. It also offers best memory performance. At 100 bclk you should easily set 2666 memory clock, if not manually then using profiles for Micron or Hynix memory. For me are working these with tighter timings. G.Skill memory is probably based on Hynix IC ( at least all that I saw were on Hynix ).
1.2 BIOS can give you weird memory performance drops and my memory was generally overclocking worse.

All OC make manually. Don't play with that OC genie thingy or anything else. It's just not working like it should in nearly every MSI mobo.
If memory XMP settings are not working then try profiles for Hynix. If it still won't work then set 2666 clock and manually main timings but also set slightly higher memory voltage ( maybe board is setting too tight some sub timings ).
CPU should make 4.4-4.5GHz at about 1.3-1.35V. Some of them don't need so high voltage. Some won't run stable at 4.5GHz+.
Every settings try with small steps. One change , save and check if it's booting and next if it's stable.

In CPU features and additional options tab ( on the bottom of overclocking window ) there is setting for LLC ( 2 or 3 option from the top ) , change it to 100%.

I would give you better info where is everything but my board went to RMA so can't check it.

I tried BIOS 1.3 again, double-checking all settings and still can't use it. I'm booting off a OCZ Revodrive X2, not the Apricorn as originally listed in the system specs.

I've put more time into the settings on this board and have settled on the following. I'm trying to get a good overclock with reasonable temps. My most aggressive application is doing focus stacking (photographic processing) which pushes all threads to about 80 percent busy for several minutes at a time. I want the core temps to stay below 75C. Core #2 seems to be a hot one.

I'm using a 5930K at 4.3Ghz with voltage of 1.3. I did not try a higher voltage. This setting seems stable. I tried 4.4Ghz, but not stable enough.

The RAM is set to Hynix 2400c15 running at 1.3 volts. The RAM is Ripjaws F4-2666C15Q-32GRR, spec'ed at 1.2V. I didn't go up to 1.35V and could not get a good boot at 2666 as far as I went. I probably can drop the voltage to 1.28, but it is stable as is.

Originally I wanted to boot off of the Mushkin Scorpion drive, but ran into real problems with that. At BIOS 1.2 I don't see a way to boot off the M.2 SSD. It is listed in 1.3, but I can't use that bios version. So I used the Revodrive for the system drive. The Scorpion R/W numbers are way more than double the Revo numbers, but I wonder how much of a practical difference there is in day-to-day usage.

Maybe I can clone the system drive to the M.2 SSD and try BIOS 1.3 again. What a glutton for punishment!!

Thank you for your very helpful suggestions.

Back