• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU help / recommendation...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
My specs [for reference]
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
RAM: 8GB DDR3 [4GB modules x2]
Mainboard: Asrock 770icafe
GPU: AMD R9 280x 3GB
HDDs: 3.5" 7200rpm SATA II x2
USB: Mouse, keyboard, speakers
Optical Drives: DVD-RW x1
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W 80+

It has been a while since I posted on here so I hope everyone is doing well. I've encountered a frustrating and unnerving psu problem and I really need help finding a solution because this issue has left me discombobulated :screwy:. I may have jumped the gun in trying to resolve the issue so the only resource left for me to do is consult the community.

I've recently come to the conclusion that my 650W psu is inadequate for my system. Without going into much detail what was happening is while playing high end games like Lichdom Battlemage or Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor my system would cut off. I would not get a BSOD or a restart, I would hear a loud CLICK and the system would simply shut itself off. When I would power back on and boot back into windows I would see a Kernel-Power Event ID: 41, task category (63) in event viewer. The very last time it happened was the most indicative of the psu because I could look through the side panel window and see the lights on both my motherboard and gpu were still lit so power was being distributed throughout the system, but when I would press the power button nothing was happening. I flipped the switch on the psu, pulled the power cord and then waited a few minutes before hooking it back up and I got the PC to reboot.

So I need a new PSU and I took a look into diaz's "Recommended PSUs - True/Tested" thread and compared my situation against the signs that my psu is inadequate. I may have jumped the gun, but I found a good deal on a Corsair TX750 v2 so I went ahead and bought it. Since the preemptive purchase I have tried out three PSU calculators which have given me three different recommended wattages based upon my general setup:

Cooler Master PSU calculator recommended minimum power supply: 542W
Asus PSU calculator recommended minimum power supply: 800W
Newegg PSU calculator recommended minimum power supply: 958W

You can consult the attached images. My worry now is that the Corsair TX750 v2 may not be sufficient. Based upon my provided specs above will 750W be enough or do I need to get a more powerful unit? If so, how much more - 850? 1000? What does the community think? Please help.

Attachments

• PSU Calculator-1.jpg
    PSU Calculator-1.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PSU Calculator-2.jpg
    PSU Calculator-2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 75
  • PSU Calculator-3.jpg
    PSU Calculator-3.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 79
650W is more than enough. You could run it on a quality 500W actually.

I run 2*280X, both overclocked, on a Corsair CX600M.

How old is your unit? Might be defect as the symptom you describe sounds like a PSU issue indeed...

Thanks for the quick response.

I would say my unit is between 2-3 years old and the problem was only occurring during graphic intensive games, but after I made the post I left my computer running to go do some errands and when I returned my PC was sitting at the windows login screen. An unexpected shutdown / restart occurred while I was out so I'm taking this as a sign my psu is going out since this is the first time I've encountered the problem outside of gaming.

I have two different psu's on order and I need to decide which one to cancel. I have a used Corsair TX750 v2 on order and then I have a brand new gaming 1000W ATX psu on sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130545265656?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I'm looking at a used Corsair 750 vs a brand new generic 1000. I don't know extensively the corsair was used or how long it would last, but I'm thinking of keeping the 1000W since it is new and would leave plenty of room for upgrading in the future.

Forget about the generic, never ever go no name on a PSU.

It's actually the most critical piece of your PC, and it can easily take a few components with it when it dies.

Not fond of used ones as well: as you mentioned, no way to know how long for it has been used or abused.

Put some more bucks in it and grab a new one.

As said earlier, a quality 600W would be more than enough, even with a high OC on both yur CPU and GPU.

Back