• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking core 2 quad cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Georgepaul

My pc specs
Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 Ghz
mobo - Asus P5G41T-MLX
Memory - 4GB ddr3 1333 (2 x 2GB)
GTX 750 Ti
psu - Antec VP450P 450W
Windows 8.1 64 bit

I made a mistake of buying the Q9550(used) as i couldn't afford a full system upgrade. I got it at the price of a pentium cpu. I expected it to run games on ultra settings at 720p(didn't know resolution was not cpu dependent), it hardly runs on medium. I will probably upgrade when Broadwell or Skylake comes out.
I want to overclock the cpu to get better fps till i upgrade. A small overclock will do. I don't want to push it too much and end up getting my pc fried. I also know that G41 is not good at overclocking. I am new to overclocking. Which is a safe setting to overclock? And what program should i use to stress test to make sure that it is stable?

The chipset isn't good and neither is the board frankly. There are no heatsinks on the paltry 3 VRM's for the CPU so they are going to get hot (if you have any overclocking options at all). I would get a fan blowing across those if you want to try and overclock.

I wouldn't overclock on that board, period. Also, OP, you haven't listed an aftermarket heatsink. Without one, any OC would be quite small. Still, wouldn't do it on that board.

Why don't you jump on Broadwell when it comes out? It would be an extremely significant upgrade from your current system. Make sure you get a good board and a good aftermarket cooler with your broadwell chip. You'll probably want a more powerful GPU to match the new CPU as well. You can sell the 750Ti at that point.

Also, OP, you haven't listed an aftermarket heatsink. Without one, any OC would be quite small.

I disagree on this point. I've gotten 800MHz to 1000MHz overclocks with stock coolers before with Core 2 chips, and still had reasonable temperatures. Though it does depend upon the core series a bit, but a Q9550 shouldn't run too hot. I wouldn't recommend the all Aluminum heatsinks though, get one with a Copper core at the very least.

Though on that board, yeah. It would need a bit of modification to be suitable for overclocking. Some MOSFET heatsinks for sticking on the VRM/CPU power section at the very least, and possibly a better heatsink with active cooling for the chipset (i.e. a heatsink with a fan attached).

It could be done though, I did something similar on my Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R. I put copper heatsinks on the VRM's, the Chokes, and upgraded the lightweight crummy Aluminum chipset heatsink to a much heavier Copper one with a 40mm spinning fan.

Back