• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I configure Creative Soundblaster X-Fi HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SilverfoxAlpha

I have the Astro A40 headset and mixamp, but I figured it'd be better to have something dedicated to the PC rather than moving the A40 back and forth, so I just bought a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB soundcard, and some Beyerdynamics dt770Pro 80 ohm headphones.

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set it up right, and I'm assuming I'm setting it up wrong because this sounds like **** compared to the A40s, when it should be quite superior (or so I've been told).

Anyone have some good "for dummies" pointers for me on this? The sound quality seems to be ok, but the 3d sound during games is nonexistant, so it just sounds horribly flat.

I know that my Prelude (rebranded X-fi) had some stupid features enabled that "made it sound better". You can disable them in installed Creative control panel. I'd show you screenshots, but I'm no longer running the card.

Sure ok, but what I'm struggling with is getting 3d sound at all, which I thought was kind of a given if I had a good soundcard, but apparently not. Do I need some software to activate it or something? Because music and general sounds are pretty nice here, but when I'm in a game, the game audio just falls flat and gives me nothing in terms of 3d soundscape or positioning. It's much much inferior to my astro A40s on my PS4, which leads me to think I'm doing somehting very wrong.

Are you plugged into the center by chance instead of Headphone Out? The Headphone out should be directly in front of the device and should work with the included Creative software. I would download the latest drivers from Creative.com though just to be certain.

Back