• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Build for Gaming, Streaming & Editing.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheBennyZone

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pMtCMp
Hey guys.
Been fiddling around with this build for a few weeks.
I really want it to play DayZ and some other games, stream on twitch, and edit video/photos.
My budget is about a 800/850.
Let me know what you guys think and if you would make any changes to save money or change performance.
Thanks guys.

Benny

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a few things, if your going to be working this rig very hard and clocking it to where they really need to be to max them out.
I would get the fx 8350, they are qc'ed to be better cpus and in general will give higher clocks with less heat and voltage.
the sweet spot for ram with this cpu tends to be 1866 ram with cl9 timings, but that will not make a huge diff.
the motherboard you have chosen is a little boarder line for 8 cores working hard and making heat, the sabertooth or it's equal will suite you better in the longer term.
if you draw a higher voltage, higher heat cpu your cooler might not be up to the task, but i have had one 8350 that would run 4.8 at very low voltage and low heat.
with the release of the nvidia 970/980 gpus I would do a little research there, for 280 cards, right now all the miners are bailing out and selling off and if you just want a 280 look at the used market.

best of luck and welcome to OCF!

Editing videos is one of the most demanding tasks a computer can be given and will tax any CPU. The FX 8350 is well-suited for this with 8 physical (sort of) cores but it draws a lot of juice when under heavy load overclocked. Make sure you don't cut corners on the motherboard (take that Sabertooth advice seriously), the CPU cooler and the case. Get a case with lots of fan mount options for good ventilation and roomy so as to be able to accommodate the larger water AIO cooler radiators. With your budget this build will be a little bit of a challenge. You also don't want to cut corners on the PSU.

For video/photo editing, since the ADobe CS6, both AMD and NVidia GPU's are supported.

Most of the heavy tasks will be handled by the GPU.

Last edited:
Editing videos is one of the most demanding tasks a computer can be given and will tax any CPU. The FX 8350 is well-suited for this with 8 physical (sort of) cores but it draws a lot of juice when under heavy load overclocked. Make sure you don't cut corners on the motherboard (take that Sabertooth advice seriously), the CPU cooler and the case. Get a case with lots of fan mount options for good ventilation and roomy so as to be able to accommodate the larger water AIO cooler radiators. With your budget this build will be a little bit of a challenge. You also don't want to cut corners on the PSU.

Last night I was thinking I can probably save a bunch of money just waiting 6 weeks for black friday and cyber monday. So I can probably change some stuff around. Is there a case you suggest? Should I stay will a mid or go full?

For video/photo editing, since the ADobe CS, both AMD and NVidia GPU's are supported.

Most of the heavy tasks will be handled by the GPU.

Do we know he's using Adobe products for these tasks?

Last night I was thinking I can probably save a bunch of money just waiting 6 weeks for black friday and cyber monday. So I can probably change some stuff around. Is there a case you suggest? Should I stay will a mid or go full?

I recently got the NZXT Source 530. Not the most stylish thing around but lots of ventilation and even space for water cooler radiators with 3x120mm fans which many cases do not. For under $80 it was a steal.

Usually, photo and video editing on PC...

?

I'm certainly not going to pay Adobe's prices unless I'm doing these things professionally. Oh, I might go with Elements but not the big gun Photoshop.

OP I like your build. For $80-90 more though you could get a GTX 970 and BLOW that R9 280X away. Totally. Pixel rates of 27.2 vs 67.2 respectively (Gpixels/s)

Otherwise it's pretty much the best you can do with the budget. You could go to a Corsair CX600 for about $50 and save there.

Make sure you overclock that FX CPU. Otherwise it will be noticeably inferior to an i5 in a lot of tasks.

Back