• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me set up software raid 5 on linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

A friend is trying to set up a file server on a spare machine with software raid 5 on CentOS using 4 x 3TB drives.

I'm wondering what the best approach would be for that. Install CentOS and then put in the other 3 drives and expand?

Is CentOS a good choice for this and what's the easiest way of setting this up.

Thanks

Having a separate disk to install the OS on is going to be a lot easier. I use CentOS exclusively, but I would suggest using something they are comfortable with since they will likely be supporting and working on it.

So far we got CentOS 7 up and running on a 320GB hdd and a raid 5 array is being created with 4x 3TB drives. We ended up picking 256kb for the chunk size. Is that good/bad/negligible?

Once the array is up and running, how do we go about making that volume visible across his network and is there a simple way of managing users/groups?

edit

I've excluded samba on the firewall, I've messed with the samba conf and added a share definition

browsable =yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

but when I try to get to the server \\server_ip i get prompted for credentials

Any suggestions

edit:
got it, didn't know that users needed a separate password for samba

Last edited:
Back