• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 Overclock - ( Feedback )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jshake

New System, New Overclock ( System Specs Listed in Signature).
Pic is of a Stable 2 hour run on Prime 95 blend. Room Temp was 70 f.
I know the Safe temp range on the FX Chips are slightly higher than those on the P II Chips which I believe was socket 62c and core 52c. As you can see from sig. this system is air cooled ( Noctua HN-D14 ). The case fans are;
1- 200 front ( Blowing In ) , 1 - 200 Right Side ( Blowing In ) , 1- 120 Left Side ( Blowing In over socket ) , 1- 200 Top ( Blowing Out ) and 1- 120 Rear ( Blowing Out ).
Would this system be considered 24/7 safe? And would this @ 4.6MHz be about as far of a overclock you should expect on air.
Thanks
jshake

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    147.8 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
Sure it is, I can't see anything that would prevent you from using it as is. Nice work jshake! :thup:

CPU/Socket temps we normally suggest as "safe" is less than 72c.

Core/Package temps we normally suggest as "safe" is less than 62c.

55c core/package temp means you likely could go a little further temp wise., BUT somewhere along in that cpu speed range is going to come the NEED for a hefty cpu Vcore raising. That would probably put you banging head-on into the max of 62c core/package temp. So it may well be not worth the freeken extra heat or headache for a daily run overclock.
RGone...ster.

That's a great overclock on low voltage with low temps. You got a good chip there.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I am happy with this overclock, I would of liked to been able to get a little more out of it. This rig right now is just a daily workhorse and I video convert with it. I would of liked to seen a little faster conversion times. I read from RGone's previous posts that he used a FX 8350 ( Overclocked ) to do video editing work with good results. That will be my next project a FX 8350 ( under custom water loop ) and try to get as close to as I can to 5.0Ghz to do my video work. Thanks Again.
jshake

I too will say that you have a good overclock...

...sometimes we look at a user's post from different perspectives. Especially so when the user asks "what do we think"?

Let me ramble a little bit about video editting. I don't rip movies. At least not yet and getting too old likely to start now. Need all my time for other things. Hehehe. I do editting of home videos. Adding intros. Adding sound or what have you. I went thru a progression from 8 cores of Intel 1156 cpu finally ending with my FX-8350 with 8 cores that I think you refer to.

I seldom ever have any 'real' interest in tutorial videos. But this man does a good job.
He is not off in the ether-sphere. When he dorks up he says ***** and says why. He will
say when he has a particular idea based on what he has read or studied and why he
does not necessarily agree to go "that way". Too many write as if they knew it ALL. I will
turn such off in seconds. I know we cannot know it ALL. Hehehe.

How to build a computer for Video Editing - $1,400 edition
Actually this build is done using an FX-9590 cpu. At the end of the videohe does compare compare the "rendering time" of this $1400.00 build against the $3000.00 system he built in the videos below.

Guide: How to Build a Computer for Video Editing (1/2) $3,000.00

Guide: How to Build a Computer for Video Editing (2/2) $3,000.00

So why do I write all of this? With a lot of video of my late Father's funeral to edit and
finding three (3) more sets of video of events on my digital camera...well I have a lot to
do and do well without error since so many family members will view the funeral video.

Additionally, I have now come to believe a mid-road gaming computer is not the best for
video editting. If you listen close to the first link above, you will see why I make this
statement. It jumped out at me as soon as it appeared...the why.

I do a lot of research on the web. Of course you must learn to filter what is BS. I gues
you have to have some idea of what you want to do or you cannot filter BS. I look at
applications freeware first and then for pay if it is affordable and looks as if it will fit
better than freeware. AND if the learning curve is NOT longer than the rest of my life
might be. Hehehe. I am not young anymore.

On with the story and hope it will help you. Having just realized my freeware editor was
now updated quite a lot and was now capable of using the video card to help with the
rendering, I upgraded my software of the very same freeware one I had used. Fork me
running. I did a short video for practice with the new version and then it did not act the
same as the original version that allowed continued use automatically with a few less
options that I really did not use anyway. Ruh Roh.

So now I am going to have to purchase what I once used for free. (I did find out how to
use the newer version in "for free" mode which used to do so AUTO). So if I am going to
have to purchase software, it is time for a new look around and the vid editting apps
and how they might stack-up.

There is a site that rates the Top 10 of nearly anything. I am used to the sites BS effects
to me. I found the newer paid for version of what I was going to have to buy was ranked
number eleven (11). Hehehe. So I made big arse downloads of the #4 ranked software
and found I could not begin to even get started. Remember I hate long learning curves.
Then I tried the number one ranked software and it would render only half of my test.
Fork it since I was not aware it "might" have a render limit. Then I downloaded another
huge arse install file and tried it. This software was from a company that I had used their
graphic editting software and was okay with. So I made an even larger download and
began to test. Fork me running again. One major feature it touted, did not work as
expected so I went to their site and their "talk with a tech" application and typed in all
my name and shett and what I wanted to know...screw it. After trying to get thru to a tech
4 times after clearing net cache and all at stuff and not reaching them, I said screw that
software. So after all I did purchase a for pay version of the latest version of what I had
used as freeware for a few years, even though it had only a number eleven ranking. GO
figure. Hehehe.

Couple of points I now have a better look at.
1. REAL video editting for a living...costs big money for the software.

2. Amount of ram is a bonus if you have a lot.

3. Having moved thru different rigs for my home video editting, I find speed is
determined by Cpu Speed and amount of ram in system.

4. I see that my video editting now with a newer software version and using an Nvidia
video card after ATI for so long, is pretty darn quick on my FX-8350 at 4.8Ghz on air at
this time. When you see the number one video above and the comparison of render
times between the two year old uber Intel rig against the $1400.00 rig, you maybe in for a
shock. I was cruising the web for software a month ago and found a piece of software
for editting that did NOT even recommend AMD at their uber performance level of use.

That gave me an eye tick. Hehehe. Did not save link so cannot even find that software
again. Crap.

5. Trying to round this up. In first link above he says he is not yet overclocked (FX-9590).
His $3000.00 build on 2011 socket for Intel is overclocked. He plans to overclock the
FX-9590 but I saw no results yet. I am overclocking my FX-8350 and "my" rendering is
done with ALL 8 cores ON which is not the way the $1400 build is being used currently.

The FX-9590 in default mode is only using 4 cores at the 5.0Ghz speed. Not like all 8 of
my cores on and rendering at 4.8Ghz. So you have to know something your ownself
before you can place anyone's idea up against a BS meter. Hehehe.

6. Still trying to round this up. You mention wishing your FX-6300 was able to go faster.
Let me say this. When I moved from 4.5Ghz to 4.8Ghz my render time was cut by nearly
50%. That is fairly significant. It might behoove you to get some serious water and push
that FX-6300 that seems to use lower Vcore than any FX-6300 I tested. Serious water
might put that FX-6300 in the 4.9Ghz range and maybe a tick higher with only 6 cores to
cool. I am saying that with my original freeware editting ware, the additional 300Mhz was
worth a cut of right at 50% on my rendering time. Moving from 8gig of ram to 16gig of
ram is worth about 30% reduction in my personal render times on software I have used
for a few years. There "manny" I put that percent of goodness that more ram helped my
rendering time. You have asked and I had to dig thru my stuff but I found out what it was
worth for you.

Sorry "jshake" if this was TMI for you but all this was fresh on my mind since I am just
'now' 4 days into this sorting of software again and drivers and monitors and such for
another big time go at some video editting.
RGone...ster.

Last edited:
Thank You RGone for the very in depth and informative post. Very helpful information on how some of my components are slowing down my render speeds. I am already looking into water cooling setups and will be changing the video card from the Radeon to a Nividia ( 660 or 670 ) card. Will also be replacing ram to GSkill Ares DDR3 16gb ( 2 X 8gb ) 1866 sticks and then see just how far I can push this system.
Thanks Again
jshake

Thank You RGone for the very in depth and informative post. Very helpful information on how some of my components are slowing down my render speeds. I am already looking into water cooling setups and will be changing the video card from the Radeon to a Nividia ( 660 or 670 ) card. Will also be replacing ram to GSkill Ares DDR3 16gb ( 2 X 8gb ) 1866 sticks and then see just how far I can push this system.
Thanks Again
jshake

"jshake" you must have some serious video to deal with if you are primed to upgrade so easily. Hehehe.

I purposely did not make 'name' mention of what software I purchased after using it 'free' for years. Let me say this though, many newer software for editting will now use Gpu assist. Newer versions though. Even the ATI cards thru either OpenCL or Avisio. A 7850 is a pretty good video card and you might save some money by checking the options for Gpu assist in the software you use. Might not need new video card.

Part of the problem is that I am just now maybe ankle-deep using my newer version of software. PM me if you want to know the software now using in paid version. I said I downloaded 3 of the edit softwares in the top 4 tested and each of them had Gpu assist both of ATI and Cuda for Nvidia. So you might not need to spend for video card. No sense in putting out money you don't have to spend...well unless you just want new video card.

I have the Ares DDR3-1600 in 2 x 4G size and it will clock up to about DDR3-1840 with 4 gig sticks. I imagine your considered purchase of the Ares DDR3-1866 in 8 gig stick size should do DDR3-2000 or maybe a tick more. Again when I get back to my Edit rig I can elaborate a little more if you need it. Suffice it to say I am having to RE-setup some of my rig since I am going to now setup that raid scratch drive setup since it seems really valid. I will also say that I have 2 kits of 8Gig Ares DDR3-2133 clocked to DDR3-2230 and so tight it squeeks. All of this change of settings is of course followed by time under the hammer of P95 Blend mode. I jerked the timings tighter on my ram and after doing so...well it was not stable and had to bump the Vcore. Now stable again. All this testing since I hate a failed render after hours of my own added edits. Like i said this is mostly home video and not rips of standard titles.

Just an FYI. I am not a video guru. If I were, I would not be saying that I was going to use information from the $1400.00 build video link above to modify some of my own sytem. However I am someone that would try to help one that has mentioned he might make moves based on something I wrote. No sense in what I do, being misleading.

Luck man.
RGone...ster.

Second Overclock

Next Push,
The only change was Cpu cooler. Replaced Noctua NH-D14 With a old ( Corsair H 100I Push Only ) I had.
This overclock, Two hour stable run with Prime 95 blend.
4.8Ghz @ 1.4v
I know I could push this a little further, but this is where I am going to stop with this system and call it a day.:)

Attachments

• AMD 6300 Second Overclock.PNG
    AMD 6300 Second Overclock.PNG
    86 KB · Views: 295
That is a pretty darn good run their "jshake". Not bad at all man. Of course I know you are going to try some editting with that rig before spending any more money. So Show us the three captures of CPU-z. The Cpu Tab, the Memory Tab and also the SPD Tab. Gives us an idea what if any ram or CPU_NB changes might be made. And for me I want to see if you can take the FSB_HT Ref Freq up from 200 to maybe 203/204 or enough to go ahead and hit 4.9Ghz without much more undue strain or effort. THEN for sure you will have muscled up pretty darn good. Hehehe. Never satisfied are we? Luck man.
RGone...ster.

CPU-Z Pics

These are the Cpu-z Pics, Will up the Ref. Clock and see what I get.
Thanks
jshake

Attachments

• Amd 6300 Cpu-z Pics.PNG
    Amd 6300 Cpu-z Pics.PNG
    137.8 KB · Views: 294
Just to be on the safe side of enough voltage, take the CPU_NB to about 1.25V up from what is usually 1.18V and not hardly any rise at all but always seems to help. Then set the ram votlage to 1.55V up from 1.50V and what I run my same ram at ALL the time since it runs at nearly DDR3-1860 or a fair ram speed up. You could also drop the HT Link Speed from 2608mhz to one notch 'dowh' so there is room for up when raising FSB/HT Ref Freq. I am just tweaking your board like I would my own, but from a considerable disance away. Hehehe. Luck man.
RGone...

Rgone, I made several attempts to reach 4.9Ghz ( With no stable success ). With just a multiplier overclock 4.9Ghz would require more than the safe 1.5v to stabilize and temps would over 60c on the cores.
With using multiplier + ref clock overclock none of the combinations I tried would stabilize. I did raise the cpu/nb voltage to 1.25v and kept the ht link below 2600 GHZ ( it was set around 24XX ). I also raised the dram voltage to 1.55v. For what ever reason this board , bios , FX chip and DDR 3 1600 ( XMP Profile ) ram combination does not like the ref. overclock.
The issue may be the ram timings are to tight or it does not like the cpu/nb and ht link changed from default @ nb ( 2000MHz ) and ht link ( 2600MHz). At this point I am happy with the stable 4.8Ghz multiplier overclock. I may still try a set of DDR 3 1866MHz ram ( 2x8gb) left at auto with XMP timings , retest with this overclock and see if it is still happy.:)
Thanks Again
jshake

Jshake, just an FYI my 8350 needed 1.35 CPU Nb voltage to stabilize at or above 1866 MHZ

Hello Mandrake4565, I thought you should not take the cpu/nb above 1.30v max. So that is not the case and I will try again with raising the cpu/nb voltage and see if I can get it to stabilize.
Thanks
jshake

Also to add onto what mandrake posted rgone has a very in depth write up it wouldn't hurt you taking a look through. A lot of good information.

Thanks To All

Finally, Finished with this overclock. 4.9GHz Stable ( 2 hour run on Prime Blend ) @ 1.42v :clap:

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    186.2 KB · Views: 251
Back