• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator fan holes....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIP Jaws

Registered
HI Guys,

I recently acquired a Alphacool UT60. With my Fractal design Define R4, i know that front rad 280mm is very tight, but i saw others do it, so apparently this rad fits.
After modding the front tray, (drilling holes so fan hole distance is 15mm) i tried times over times, to mount the rad, but the holes just never line up. I admit, the rad is a tight fit, and if the stop fitting where any thicker, it would just not fit at all.
After the 10th attempt, i just tried to attach the fans to the rad outside the case, and tadaaa... please see thet pic:
P1000427 Smaller.jpg

Is that normal? there is like a 1-2mm gab between them... In addition: even when mounting only 1 fan, the holes don´t line up properly. I can get them in, but then its under lot of tension...

So, is it normal that the fan holes on the rad are not precise, or did i receive a "mondays-product" and should ask for a replacement?

Thanks in advance for you help!

EDIT: i got 2 Noiseblockers pk-2 on there.

Yeah, i know. Found that thread as well, but as it´s 2 years old, i thought, things might have changed. Furthermore, the problem is not only the 16mm difference, but that even when mounting only 1 fan, the holes are off. you start with 1 screw, and the 2nd is already harder to get in at all. For one fan, i wasn´t able to put in the 4th screw at all.

Furthermore, the problem is not only the 16mm difference, but that even when mounting only 1 fan, the holes are off. you start with 1 screw, and the 2nd is already harder to get in at all. For one fan, i wasn´t able to put in the 4th screw at all.
That's still because of the 16mm spacing. Spacing doesn't change with the amount of fans.

Hi,
Yeah i know. But its not about many fans. I´m talking about mounting even 1 fan. That has nothing to do with the 16mm fan spacing. Even the 4 holes for 1 fan are not perfectly aligned in all 4 corners. Normally you should put a fan on the rad, and all 4 screws should slide right in...

:welcome: to OCFs.

I am a little bit confused with your main post. Are you saying in general that your radiator won't fit to the modded holes on your case? If so, please take a few pictures not zoomed in so much.

Hi,
Yeah i know. But its not about many fans. I´m talking about mounting even 1 fan. That has nothing to do with the 16mm fan spacing. Even the 4 holes for 1 fan are not perfectly aligned in all 4 corners. Normally you should put a fan on the rad, and all 4 screws should slide right in...

All I can tell you is none of my rads are like that. I have XSPC 360 rad and SR1 280 rad and have had 2 others, all of mine the holes are well aligned. It could be just your rad with holes slightly off, or a batch of them. But from pic it looks like my fans have larger holes than ones on your fans, which would allow for more tolerance for alignment with radiator holes. You can also measure with ruler and make sure it is rad holes that are off (more likely granted than the fans).

:welcome: to OCFs.

I am a little bit confused with your main post. Are you saying in general that your radiator won't fit to the modded holes on your case? If so, please take a few pictures not zoomed in so much.

That is what i first thought but as it turns out, it has nothing to do with my modded case holes, but the rad fan holes...
Zooming out would not really show the point unfortunately. The picture shows enough information. These fans are typical NB PK-2, which are often used in cases and WC´s. They have perfect, typical measurements, if they hadn´t you would find information on that online. Lets assume, you have a case and you fit in 2 of these PK-2, the frames would touch, and not leave a gap. As you can see on my picture above, they do not touch on the rad. Which means the rad fan holes are further away from each other.
Furthermore, lets assume you fit a fan in a case, you put the fan in its position and then you see that each hole alligns perfectly with the case holes. hence you will be able to put in each screw without any problems what so ever. If i put my PK2´s on this rad, i can not see every hole perfectly, which means, i can put in 2 screws, the 3rd one is a hassle as i have to push the fan in order to get into the hole. And the 4th hole is just luck...
I hope i have described this clearly enough.
Regards
Fred

Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, I guess you can measure both as someone isn't spec'd properly. If you have some spare fans around, try and install those and see what happens. In the end I would take measurements and see who's the culprit and RMA.

If defo the Rad´s fanholes.
The fans were perfect in the casing holes, and the fan tray of the Define R4..
System is up and running, i got the fans in... but it took some force and nerves... and time...

Back