• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible Bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sembo

Registered
Hello everyone! Hope you are doing good...

So my current specs are...

CPU: i5-2500K OC @4.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB
RAM: 16GB Kingston Genesis
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Cooler: Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus
PSU: Thermaltake 750W
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos

I wanted to upgrade my video card to an Nvidia GTX 780 3GB and i was wondering if there would be any problems with the actual CPU (bottleneck etc)? Any information and advice is welcome.

Thanks again for reading this.
Cheers

Hello everyone! Hope you are doing good...

So my current specs are...

CPU: i5-2500K OC @4.2Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 560 Ti 1GB
RAM: 16GB Kingston Genesis
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Z77
Cooler: Thermaltake Bigwater 760 Plus
PSU: Thermaltake 750W
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos

I wanted to upgrade my video card to an Nvidia GTX 780 3GB and i was wondering if there would be any problems with the actual CPU (bottleneck etc)? Any information and advice is welcome.

Thanks again for reading this.
Cheers

it should compliment your system perfectly.

Thank you guys for your fast response!

I will go for it then :)

Cheers

Ok the thing is that right now i can find the 780 3Gb at 312 Eur and the 970 4Gb is at 403 Eur! Is it worth spending 80+ to get the 970? Also, what about bottleneck issues with my current rig? Thanks

They're about equal, performance-wise, so if the 780 is that much cheaper, I'd go with it

i should have asked what resolution your screen is. you might wish you had more vram at some point if you have a 1440p monitor. also, i assumed you were getting a used one or got a great price. for the same price the 970 is the way to go but if you're at 1080p and the 780 is way less it should be a good buy.

For those on 4K or planning to soon, with either the 970 or the 780, you probably won't get a very smooth gaming experience at 4K unless you turn down the details, defeating the point of 4K gaming in the first place. (For the majority not already on 4K or planning to upgrade to it soon, keep in mind that you'll likely have to upgrade the GPU again when you do.) The 980 is only 10-20% faster which might be enough, but even better would be a pair of 970s. 4K does work like a charm for everything else, which was why I upgraded.

What I would like to see is an option that is more or less the opposite of DSR - render at 1080p, then upscale to 4K using an algorithm superior to the one built into the display's controller. But then you'll need a display that can accept 4K at 120Hz... Rendering at 1080p120 and then letting the display upscale to 4K120 looks surprisingly good.

As a user who upgraded from a 560Ti (albeit the 2GB version) to a 970, I'll tell you that it would definitely be a "night and day" upgrade.

In Poland prices for better GTX970 series are also about €400.
If you get GTX780 then decide on something good like ASUS DC2, maybe MSI Lightning ( these have warranty stickers ). I don't think you will find EVGA Classified in so low price. If you want GTX970 more ( it's actually better idea if price is good ) then go for Gigabyte or MSI Gaming ( MSI again has warranty stickers on the cooler ) or if you don't want to overclock much then ASUS Strix seem also good.

France is indeed about 330 euros on low 970s and close to 370 on the better ones, if a 780 is 320 euros and a 970 is 400 euros, i personally probably would hold on time or money just to get the 970.

I would like to ask the o.p. how the big water plus is cooling for him.
I think i still have one laying around.

Well thank you all for your suggestions and time. I will probably end up with the 780 as i do not plan going to 4k anytime soon. However, i will always keep in mind the 970 if it comes up at a good price.

Thanks again everyone.

I would like to ask the o.p. how the big water plus is cooling for him.
I think i still have one laying around.

As for this i think is off topic so i will PM you to talk more in depth.

Back