• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, first overclock - feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

Edit: sorry about how big the pics are i figured they would be thumb nails...

Hello guys I've been lurking around here for awhile now reading stickys and what not didn't really have a computer so I build one with over clocking in mind, so fist off some specs.

CPU: phenom x4 955 BE
Motherboard: Asus sabertooth 990fx r2
Cooler: h100i p/p
RAM: 8 (2x4) gskill
GPU: Asus 780 Poseidon
Case: HAF 912
PSU: corsair rm850

As I said I'm overclocking and this is what I have so far

Capture[2].PNG Capture2[1].PNG Capture3[1].PNG Capture4[1].PNG Capture5[1].PNG Capture6[1].PNG Capture8[1].PNG Capture7[1].PNG

Any pointers would be great, i ran prime95 for about a half hour to get a base line on my temps, my fans were at 1500 rpm that to me isnt noticeble so i feel i could turn them up for better temps.

One of the things id like help with is what i should be turning off auto or disabling in the bios plus anything you guys see i could do better. goal is 4.0ghz i think.

That looks all right, you might be able to lower the vCore in the 1.4v for 3.8GHz.

Your memory is not matching the SPD table, change in in the bios to get 1600Cl9/9/9/24.

You could up the CPU-NB to 2500/2600MHz to get some extr aperf.

Seen that as well from what I could find online it's just a wrong reading from HWM.

Going to push to 4ghz in the morning with 8hour or so of prime, I'll post results see if you think it's safe for a 24/7 overclock.

Ps my temps only hit 50 becase I had a box sitting on top on the case blocking my fans lol I don't think it would have had gotten that high otherwise.

I don't endorse overclocking on new builds, i like to wait a year or two till the placebo effect of needing to OC comes in and then just OC the **** out of it. I dont know AMDs anymore but if you checkout the last gen i5s and i7s lkike 4770k and 4670k or whatever you will see there less then 1-2% FPS gains on most things, from the highest of OCs to the default clock speeds.

Either way, GL HF :)

Well, a Phenom II@Stock paired with a 780 would be a severe bottleneck.

Once taken to 3.9/4GHz, the issue is solved.

Keep in mind PhII is now 5 years old, nothing like a last gen Intel.

It's still very capable at gaming once OC'ed though!

Edit:
a PhII x4@4GHz scores a bit less than 5pts in Cinebench 11.5, to compare with (stock clock):

FX 4350 3.63pts
FX 6350 5.01

Source: http://www.play3r.net/reviews/amd-piledriver-fx-4350-fx6350-fx-8350-shootout-review/7/

So, it does the same job as a last gen FX6350 would ;)

Example with ARMA 3

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html

Last edited:
Well, a Phenom II@Stock paired with a 780 would be a severe bottleneck.

Once taken to 3.9/4GHz, the issue is solved.

Keep in mind PhII is now 5 years old, nothing like a last gen Intel.

It's still very capable at gaming once OC'ed though!

Edit:
a PhII x4@4GHz scores a bit less than 5pts in Cinebench 11.5, to compare with (stock clock):

FX 4350 3.63pts
FX 6350 5.01

Source: http://www.play3r.net/reviews/amd-piledriver-fx-4350-fx6350-fx-8350-shootout-review/7/

So, it does the same job as a last gen FX6350 would ;)

Example with ARMA 3

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html

This is good Info above^ something i probably would of said if i knew enough about AMD, id never buy a high end GPU on a old system, got this 270x cause i was still running a i7 920 first gen at the time. At 3.8 ghz you will have done enough to try and eliminate what you could of a bottleneck which is probably huge at this point, 4ghz will not do anything over 3.8 though imo if it was close to 3ghz stock.

I think is you are trying to pin point bottleneck the motherboard would be bigger then the CPU. Someone with more knowledge on stuff including PCI 2/3 can probably help you estimate whats what in your situation.

Shiozaki made two posts. One with images showing temps and another asking were there anything he might need to change from Auto settings in bios. He gets one response stating that 50c is getting close to 55c package temp that might bring on some instability. Another poster asks about the 128c temp shown in HWMonitor Free which is almost never anything but a sensor that is n0t connected, so it reads max. Then we get posts about not overclocking new systems but to wait for two years and video bottlenecking from a 5 platforms behind Intel user who says he is no longer familiar with AMD systems. And then some more about cpu/video bottlenecking.

Wow, I am probably a big offender at falling off the mainroad, but reading all the later theads to make sure we are assisting those with questions, I fell out of my chair here.

Yes Shiozaki, test what you expect will be your max overclock for a couple of hours as that is your intent. Then post up those good pics again. You can make the image of HWMonitor bigger to include the full voltages and temps in one image. Yep take the books off the top of the cpu case. When you post those 2 hour plus images we can see what the min and max of volts and temps are and decide if making any manual adjustments in bios might be advantageous for your setup.

I have no problem with using Auto settings for general use of a rig for 24/7 use. This provided the temps are fully within their considered safe and stable range. Some motherboards will over-volt on some voltages with Auto settings. In that situation, I do adjust the cpu voltage manually, trying to get by with a lesser voltage to the cpu. Otherwise Auto can make setup after a CMOS clear a little easier to REadjust back to my overclock settings.

Good luck with your Prime 95 Blend runs.
RGone...

I know , I've just been waiting for some kind of follow up aside from I'm testing.

Shiozaki made two posts. One with images showing temps and another asking were there anything he might need to change from Auto settings in bios. He gets one response stating that 50c is getting close to 55c package temp that might bring on some instability. Another poster asks about the 128c temp shown in HWMonitor Free which is almost never anything but a sensor that is n0t connected, so it reads max. Then we get posts about not overclocking new systems but to wait for two years and video bottlenecking from a 5 platforms behind Intel user who says he is no longer familiar with AMD systems. And then some more about cpu/video bottlenecking.

General PC knowledge isnt limited to a specific brand and everything said above was related to his post. These are things that benefit and help him learn the basics, cause anyone asking if 50c is too high is new to this. Foremost the thread says first build first overclock, with a 780 most would expect a near new model CPU.

Again thanks for having the time to act above, your opinion is noted!

Work is kicking my *** 12hr days and all, I didn't get a chance to test my system today.

So about my cpu, I bought it two years ago new for a hell oof a good deal as the start of this build, but as we all know life happens and the money was needed else where.

So when I started up the build again I decided to use this cpu just to learn the basics on instead of buying another new one and save the money till maybe tax time, and get either a FX83xx or better.

Work is kicking my *** 12hr days and all, I didn't get a chance to test my system today.

life happens and the money was needed else where.

Time and money. Money and time. They both make changes in our intent. No problem there man. When you get to it; that will be fine. I guess things are a little slow in the AMD CPU Forum section and we come back and look as those of us who remain and help everyday...and we just wanting to see something new. Hehehe. Luck with those hours that can kick one in the arse working 1/2 of everyday.
RGone...ster.

Sounds close to my work days. It is very easy to spend 4+ hours working on a stable overclock to get it where you want it. I know when I was starting off I would spend about that much time every night after work just to try and get where I wanted it. Keep to it any time you can spend will get you closer to what you want.

Definitely post up all you stuff after your tests. I was always told the more pictures the better they can understand what is going on with your system and give better advise.

Kinda pissed, I got my new ssd installed, while reinstalling corsair link I updated the firmware inturn causing it to stop detecting the pump and fans... Was working perfectly fine before.

Now I got to spend time fixing it, if I can...

lots of pics, got some bios screen caps too.

so 12 hours prime stable at 4ghz, pretty good right?

questions, whats the stock cpu voltage? ive never changed it and ive read its closer to 1.3 then the 1.4 i have it at as far as i know i have never changed it.

Should i update my bios?

Do i have the headroom to push for 4.2ghz?

do you guys see any problems? any thing i should tweak before pushing further?

my fans again settled in at 1500rpm still not that bad could still go to 1800rpm and they shouldn't bother me.

Capture2.PNG Capture11.PNG Capture10.PNG Capture9.PNG Capture8.PNG Capture7.PNG Capture.PNG Capture6.PNG Capture5.PNG Capture4.PNG Capture3.PNG Capture1.PNG Capture12.PNG

Back