• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF4. Is it playable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
I haven't played BF4 since right after the first expansion came out. Is anyone still playing this?
I tried playing yesterday and had nothing but issues. I was wondering if the game is still buggy or if I have some instability in my system. Plus performance seems bad compared to what I remember.

I have triple crossfire 290x's with a 4930K. All water cooled. Monitor is 1440k. Framerates on some maps were dropping into the 30's, even after taking off ultra settings and bumping a few things down. I thought the cards might be unstable, since they are relatively unused lately. I tried mantle and dx11. So, I fired up a mining program and they ran all night ok.

I crashed to the desktop a few times and had an error or two about running out of memory, even though I have 16Gb. I messed with the virtual memory setting a bit and it seems like it fixed that. Also, had a bunch of issues with my headset, but I think that is the headset.

Fps seemed to be around 50-60. Dips into the 30's. Highs in the 100+. Do these fps numbers seem ok? It almost seems like they should be higher, though I don't remember exactly what they were when I played before.

Short answer: Maybe, but it still has most of the same problems that it started with so don't bother. That's just my opinion though.

The good side of that game is that after paying as much as I did for it, I will never pre-pay for a game and it's expansions so I guess it served a purpose.

I played 1hour something without any issue.

I am a reall noob though (was my first "real" game).

"Siege of Shangai": 1080p, 2x280x ULtra, 8GB RAM, 3470@stock, 2xMSSA and 100% scaling, DX11, no crash, locked@60fps.

Edit: I actually like it!

Interesting you posted this xsuperbgx, I hadn't played BF4 in a month or so and decided to log on yesterday. I had to update it which I did and when I tried playing, it was at a stand still. I was topping out at 11 FPS and it didn't matter whether I was playing a campaign or multiplayer. I'm using my GTX 780 playing at 1680*1050. I logged into BF3 and played without a problem and also updated the drivers on the GPU. What gives? :shrug:

^Same here: I redownloaded it 2 days ago!

Never really played before, except the campaign, though.

Wow, have not played this game in a while.
never really had any problems with it.

Will have to log on and see, probably just an update glitch that will be worked out fairly quickly.

I used to get 90 FPS 5760x1080 using sig rig

Well, I figured out my issue, for what ever reason I can't run Afterburner even with the Gpu at stock clocks and play. I played this morning after I posted and didn't open Afterburner and it played just fine, then opened it and it was un playable again. Next step figuring out why.

Yep, same problem with MSI AB.

It either won't load, or freeze early in the game, even@stock clock.

There is a quick fix I believe.

Edit: I did not even read your post entirely Mandrake, shame on me, as I found out this morning.

Yep, same problem with MSI AB.

It either won't load, or freeze early in the game, even@stock clock.

There is a quick fix I believe.

Edit: I did not even read your post entirely Mandrake, shame on me, as I found out this morning.
:D

I was having the same issues as you Manu, it either would load really really slow, on screen display showing 1-2 fps while loading. Then, it would either completely freeze or just be ridiculously slow. When doing the same with Afterburner not opened in the background it loaded and played fine, it seems to be a known issue.

Got a screenshot with the afterburner screen showing usage. Notice how inconsistent usage is, on the graph.

It does do it without afterburner open as well.

Any ideas??

bf4bad.png

Edit: I am getting a "windows is low on memory" popup, again. Seems that there is a memory leak or something. I see a few topics around the web, but no solutions. I have 16GB memory, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
You did restart the game after changing that setting right? If so, I think it's the overkill 3x gpus causing the problems.

I too noticed some crappy frame rates last night. I updated to the latest AMD driver, fired up the game and it seemed sluggish. I run Afterburner also. I will try running it without AB tonight.

My issue seems to be different then yours xsuperbgx but I updated Msi Afterburner and I'm still having the same issues that I mentioned, when it's opened.

Edit: uninstalled Riva tuner and all is well now.

Last edited:
I did an install repair last night without improvement. I will try a complete uninstall and reinstall.
I played other games last night just to verify, but it is a bf4 only problem. I even ran the new fire strike ultra. Got 6800+ at stock clocks.

i have been messing with the game for the last month every once and a while, i cant even get it to start up so i said F it, onto better things lol.

Back