• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Upgrade" from 2x X5420 Skulltrail to i7 920 = ??? (Help Needed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
Alright, so I've been running an Intel Skulltrail rig for the longest time: 2x Intel Xeon E5420 @ 3.0GHz (400x7.5) / Intel D5400XS Skulltrail / • 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data DDR2-800 FB-DIMM ECC 5-5-5-15 (1:1 @ 400MHz) on water.

Before I went to prison in 2011, I purchased a cherry picked i7 920 SLBEJ Costa Rica D0 stepping processor along with an Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard. I never got to put anything to use until I got out of prison this year in July, and only now just got around to putting this rig together. Now that it's together, I found out that the RIII Extreme mobo was DOA even though I bought it from the seller as brand new back-from-RMA. Apparently the RIII boards were a serious hit-or-miss batch of motherboards. So I just dropped $250 on an Intel DX58SO2 Smackover 2 x58 motherboard, so things finally work, but I can't boot at squat except for stock speeds no matter what clock frequencies, RAM frequencies, multipliers, or voltages I cram into BIOS. Right now I'm running bone stock at 2.67ghz 20x133 w/ my Corsair DDR3-1600 (3x4gb) at a meager DDR3-1067 @ 9-9-9-24 timings. Edit: And all the temperatures are WELL within spec, never exceeding 44ºC load on any of the cores @ 100% load under an EK Supreme-HF block)

Coming from an Intel Skulltrail setup, I thought that moving to a next-generation i7 setup would be a significant upgrade, especially considering overclocking options when I'm limited to 400fsb on the D5400XS Skulltrail platform. So far, I'm friggin' PISSED though! This i7 rig is turning out be be a piece of crap that I just poured too much money into for too little performance. Unless someone can help me out with this and show me that moving to an i7/x58 platform was a good decision, I'm just going to put my entire Skulltrail setup back into this new case, re-do my WC loop, and re-format everything once again.

OC Forums, Please help me! I've been out of the loop for so long, and the whole i7/next gen Intel stuff is pretty much brand new to me. I want to give it a chance, but so far I feel like I've been sucking on lemons.

-Justin

Last edited:
Trust me, I've thoroughly read both those guides trying to overclock this *******. I can't even get it to boot at 19x166 w/ 1.35v CORE, 1.2v ICH, 1.35v QPI, 1.65v DIMM (1:1).

I've read that the DX58SO2 does not have a CPU PLL voltage adjustment, so it is frozen at 1.80v, but when the guide suggests raising CPU PLL to 1.88v, I can't see that being a significant factor in all of the problems that I've been having thus far.

I HAD it running at DDR3-1600 w/ 12x multiplier w/ CPU @ stock speeds, but then I went to screw with overclocking and I couldn't get it to boot at anything but DDR3-1067 w/ CPU @ stock speeds.

I also have 4x 1gb DDR3-1600 modules I could try in there tomorrow to troubleshoot, but I have a feeling that this is not a memory-related problem.

Alright, Thank you to all that replied - I re-read Intel's factory overclocking guide on the DX58SO2 and it specified exactly what settings to leave at default in the BIOS as opposed to screwing with them as good ole tinker-with-everything me does.

Within 15 minutes I'm posting at this and totally stable thus far:

http://valid.x86.fr/tpihhk

tpihhk.png

MP3's are encoding a hell of a lot faster than they were before...

IMHO, after owning a SMP setup since 2010, 4 physical cores still leaves something to be desired... I've been spoiled by Intel's Skulltrail platform. Still honest-to-God contemplating whether or not I want to buy a pair of x5470's to clock @ 4ghz on my Skulltrail board and upgrade the RAM from 8gb to 16gb of FB-DIMMs.

I'm going to continue playing with this board and i7, I have a feeling that I'll be rolling at 4.2ghz daily overclock within another day of tinkering and a good shot of vCore to 1.4v or 1.425v.

Then again, if I'm going to spend money on anything, Intel's LGA 2011 platform and X99 chipset are looking mighty pretty to throw a 6-core i7-5930K Haswell-E machine together... but can it compare to a true SMP setup?

Yep man, you're right, out of bed and mind still not clear (need MOAR coffee).

I had 5820k in my head, lol!

Back