• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what should I look for in a socket 775 motherboard? Good bios.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello,

I'm looking for a 775 socket motherboard and have no idea what a good one would be. When socket 775 was new I was buying emachines and the bios is fully locked. :mad:
I have a few processors I want to play with and am looking for a motherboard with good bios. I might be experimenting for my first time with extreme cooling and would like to do it on hardware I care/paid little to nothing for.

A few suggestions would be great thanks.

The Biostar TP45 is the best board i have been using so far.

i installed ddr2 800 memory, overclocked it to 890mhz, and got my e3000 up to 4ghz. i had to change the cpu voltage from auto to 1.3v because the motherboard had the e8400 voltage up to 1.4v.

Look for boards with the P45 chipset such as the Biostar above. Asus and Gigabyte made several good ones too. Also look at X48 chipsets. Many of those also overclock well.

If you are strictly benchmarking look for DDR3 versions of those chipsets. Stay away from the DDR2/3 combo.

If you can find a REX that was the defacto 775 board, gigabyte ud3 ddr2 was a great quad board as well

Thanks,

I'll be able to find something suitable now.

btw, these 775 motherboard colors are crazy!

btw, these 775 motherboard colors are crazy!

Board designers were all on very strong halucinogens back in the 775 days. Instead of making little plasticene mushrooms in multiple colors they made motherboards, because it was 2008 and not 1977.
That's my understanding of it, at least.

Back