• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Porter CN881 and the GA-990FXA-UD3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

I want to share my experience with the Xigmatek product and my motherboard:

The installation should have been less complicated then it was for me for two reasons; first I did not feel like removing the CPU Cooler and second my large hands, it was still fairly straightforward after I thoroughly read the manual.

The only issue is that to properly align the heatstink on the northbridge I had to block the first PCI-E 16x, forcing me to move my GPU to the second PCI-E 16x slot (which makes the GPU run a few degrees hotter). At least now the heatstink barely warms up when I touch it (which is the only way to check the temperature, IMHO) since I'm almost convince that the TMP2 sensor is not the northbridge, no matter what Gigabyte says. Is just a another readout of the CPU temp.
Example 1; if I suspend my PC, then that temp becomes a copy of the CPU temp.
Example 2: if I enable "Core unlocking" on the BIOS that temp becomes LOCKED (min and max) no matter what.
Example 3: HWiNFO64 names the MB sensors in this order; Motherboard, Northbridge and CPU.

Here is a picture of how it looks

Why don't you remove the bottom 3 PCI slot covers below the GPU? Also adding a 120mm fan on the bottom of case infront of PSU pulling air upwards will greatly improve airflow towards the GPU ;)

Great job with the NB cooler! Nice and clean build too!

Why don't you remove the bottom 3 PCI slot covers below the GPU? Also adding a 120mm fan on the bottom of case infront of PSU pulling air upwards will greatly improve airflow towards the GPU ;)

Great job with the NB cooler! Nice and clean build too!
Didn't cross my mind to remove the PCI brackets of the case, I'll try that and then game a awhile and check the temps.
I forgot to mention I have a 120mm fan on the side panel blowing directly over the GPU, though I'll do that and check any temps variations.
Thanks for the tips and compliment!

Back