• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 400GB SSD 910 Series Enterprise SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Waza

I found Intel 910 400GB SSD on insane sale yesterday.
Priced around 1700 euros I paid 190 euros for this drive without even thinking too much about it.
There was no mention of them being used or anything so that's good, but I have this stupid idea that this drive won't work in desktop use.
For some reason I feel there must be something fishy going on with these drives since they are sold so cheaply but I'm not knowledgeable enough about SSD's or enterprise hardware to know for sure.

Is there anything I should know about these drives or the usage of enterprise hardware at home?
I know it isn't bootable but that's about it.

400GB SSD for under 200 euros with great endurance was just too good of a deal to think before buying:D
My drive should arrive tomorrow so any tips are welcome.

What are you planning on doing with this thing? I'd personally only find it very useful for running VMs, but it may help with video encoding, compression, and the like. I don't see why it wouldn't be usable in a desktop, assuming Windows (or whatever OS you use) is able to install drivers for it.

The price that you see around is probably list pricing. It probably goes for less when it's resold because it's older gen when it comes to enterprise hardware.

I likely use half of it as steam library and the other half for recording my streams and video editing.
I have never seen 400GB SSDs go under 200euros let alone enterprise one.

Should I software raid this card or use it as two separate drives?
My experience with software raids have been mostly negative :D

Software raid it to what... it comes up as two 200gb drives, or did you want to buy two of these cards?

Software raid it to what... it comes up as two 200gb drives, or did you want to buy two of these cards?

Software raid it with itself :D
My understanding is that this card has two separate nand banks and controllers.
I'm just not sure if it's worth to raid.

Does it come up as two separate disks of 200gb each? I'd probably combine them in some way. What's the benefit to keeping them separate?

Does it come up as two separate disks of 200gb each? I'd probably combine them in some way. What's the benefit to keeping them separate?

Yes it shows up as two 200GB disks.
I don't know if spanning the logical disk across two physical ones uses CPU time but striping them will. I Striped them anyway to spread the load on both controllers.

Yes it shows up as two 200GB disks.
I don't know if spanning the logical disk across two physical ones uses CPU time but striping them will. I Striped them anyway to spread the load on both controllers.

I don't think raid-0 striping uses that much CPU power from what I recall... if it did, I probably wouldn't have used it years ago when CPUs weren't as fast as now. I'm sure you can easily google search the CPU hit of software raid-0.

Back