• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED returning faulty work units.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
My new to me hd7970 is returning faulty work units, got any ideas?

******************************* Date: 2014-10-14 *******************************
09:39:53:WU02:FS00:0x17:ERROR:exception: First periodic box vector must be parallel to x.
09:39:53:WU02:FS00:0x17:Saving result file logfile_01.txt
09:39:53:WU02:FS00:0x17:Saving result file log.txt
09:39:53:WU02:FS00:0x17:Folding@home Core Shutdown: BAD_WORK_UNIT
09:39:54:WARNING:WU02:FS00:FahCore returned: BAD_WORK_UNIT (114 = 0x72)
09:39:54:WU02:FS00:Sending unit results: id:02 state:SEND error:FAULTY project:13001 run:71 clone:0 gen:49 core:0x17

FIXED!. the issue was a bad terminal crimp in the 4 pin molex connector i had the 8 pin pcie adapter plugged into.
the wire was not skived very well and the copper strands had little contact.

the 7770 cards and the 7850 card do not draw near what this card draws and i likely would have never had a problem running those.

Last edited:
I had issues over the weekend with my 7970 also. 3 bad wu's. reboot seems to have solved it though. not sure what it was. my 280x had the stuck at 99.9% issue also. that seems to have cleared up on its own. flaky wu's maybe?

I tried all the stuff in the thread that godman linked to, it was still a no go.
so i changed the card to my 7850 that folds like a jewel, I'll check on it sometime tonight and see how it does in the rig.

the 7850 folds like it always has.
next I will try an hd7770 ghz edition, if that goes well I'll try the 7970 again.
I am thinking it is not the card, I brought if here and put it in my intel rig, inplace of my sli gtx 760's and it is as right as rain and that makes me wonder about the slot in the very bottom of the barrel gigabyte board.

You never gave us much info to work with.....Did you stress test the card prior to assigning it to folding duty ??

yes, I let heaven benchmark for 2 or three hours, at stock clocks. I have benched with it with no issues at all and folded with it for a few days, at both stock clocks, 1000 on the core and with a mild oc, 1040 on the core.
all temps look good, around 65-70c folding over night, then, all at once, two bad work units.

I have narrowed it down to the rig.
in my intel rig it benches and folds a charm, I have put it back in the apu rig and now it fails to black screen in heaven benchmark in stage 4, going over the bow of the boat just before passing over the wheel.
looking at gpu-z, while running heaven windowed the gpu load gets close to 100% with my 760's, this tells me that i need to look at my board or the psu as the issue.
I have other power supplies and no spare amd, fm2 boards so at this point I'll swap psu's and see what happens.

I changed psu's to a 500 watt ultra psu i had laying around and let it cycle heaven for a few hours, no problems, I will let it fold a while and see what happens.

what it was,
the 7970 uses 2, 8 pin pcie connecters, that psu only had one, so i had to use an adapter from a four pin molex conneter.
one of the terminals in that four pin molex connecter had a bad skive on the wire and was only making partial connection to the terminal.

Back