• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First custom loop help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hippogriff

Since all my new parts will take a while to come back after the initial X99 disastrous experience, I will have a bit more time to upgrade my rig. So, I thought that is the time to go full custom.

Now I will cool just the CPU, but my goal is to cool the GPUs when EVGA will send me the 980s. My specs are below. Just consider a potential 3rd 980. I also value noise over pure performance. I don't really have a budget limit, but I don't want to spend a fortune.

What I would buy now

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO (like Nickel, but people seems to suggest copper)

Radiator: NexXos UT60 360
Fans: 3 x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-P (only pull since I read that the Phantom cannot house a UT60 in push/pull)

or

Radiator: NexXos XT45 360
Fans: 6x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-P (in PP, should fit)

or

Radiator: NexXos XT45 360
Fans: 3x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-P (push) and 2x NZXT FS-200 (pull)

Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2
Pump: Koolance PMP-450 or Swiftech 655 PWM
Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8 x 1/2
Fittings: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting 6 Pack 3/8 x 1/2

What I would buy later

Radiator: NexXos UT60 240
Fans: 2 x NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-P
Pump: 2nd pump?
Other fittings, other tubing(?), GPU blocks (EK or XSPC?)

Opinions? Are there any terrible mistakes?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Fit all the rad you can in that case. I believe a 240 in front and 360 up top fit. I would do CPU and 2 GPU in SLI loop. Getting a 3rd GPU gives you way less scalling in SLI as oppsed to having 2. Nvidia scales really well with 2 but the more you add the less you get. Really not worth it imo unless you're running something like 4k in surround for gaming for example.

Try seeing if you can fit the UT60 versions on both of those rads. The more heat surface the merrier. Should allow you to run those fans low for a silent operating rig @ full load while having good to great Delta-Temps. Just have all the B12s in push configuration and should be good to go on that front.

Those GPU's regardless aren't pulling that much either. I think the TDP on the 980s are just under 200w per so the generated heat won't be as much as a 250 TDP GPU.

The reservoir is ok but they are an old design that had issues with priming the pumps and bleeding. I would take a look at the Monsoon Series Two dual bay reservoir with a MCP-35x or a D5 on it. They have both versions for either or.

If you want a 2nd pump for redundancy, go ahead but its not needed.

Also, you could get a better bang for your buck with either Swiftech's XL CPU WB or XSPC's Raystorm.

I would add all the components to the loop now so in the future, all you would need to do is just add the GPU's to the loop.

Thanks for the reply

So

- I'm going for a 1440p 144hz monitor and 2 980 is already somewhat borderline today. A 3way SLI would ensure a longer lifespan. But who knows, maybe by the time EVGA step up my 780 Tis there will be a 980Ti/Titan II. In that case, I would sell my 980 and get a couple of those and watercool them.

- Don't think I can fit UT60 in PP. I can try to measure once my new mobo is back, but Google seems to agree that it is too thick. With UT60, I would put the Noiseblocker fans under the top mesh cover in pull (or it makes sense to have them in push?). There will be the metal frame (the one where you attach fans/radiator) between the fans and the radiator, hope it is not a problem. With a XT 45 I should be able to have them in PP.

- In the bottom, I would put a 240 UT60 in push. My idea was to get cold air from bottom and front, exhaust hot air on top and rear. But not sure about that.

- I looked at that reservoir just because it housed two pumps. But if I don't need two pumps, there are many other options (and the Monsoon was one of my favorite choices)

So, I took some measurement and I revised a bit my idea

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO

Top radiator: 360 NexXos XT45 or ST30 (that seems good at low RPM) in push/pull. Push 3xNB-eLoop B12-2 1300rpm, pull 2x NZXT FS-200 700rpm (already have one)

Bottom radiator: 240 NexXox UT60 in push/pull. 4x Noiseblocker / Phobya NB-eLoop 1600 rpm (Suggestions for other cheaper fans welcome, since these will be hidden)

Reservoir: Monsoon Series Two Premium D5
(I read that there is a v2 of the Koolance reservoir, is it still bad?)

Fittings: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting 3/8 x 1/2 various

Opinions?

Last edited:
So, I took some measurement and I revised a bit my idea

CPU Block: EK Supremacy EVO

Top radiator: 360 NexXos XT45 or ST30 (that seems good at low RPM) in push/pull. Push 3xNB-eLoop B12-2 1300rpm, pull 2x NZXT FS-200 700rpm (already have one)

Bottom radiator: 240 NexXox UT60 in push/pull. 4x Noiseblocker / Phobya NB-eLoop 1600 rpm (Suggestions for other cheaper fans welcome, since these will be hidden)

Reservoir: Monsoon Series Two Premium D5
(I read that there is a v2 of the Koolance reservoir, is it still bad?)

Fittings: Monsoon Free Center Compression Fitting 3/8 x 1/2 various

Opinions?

I highly recommend NOT getting monsoon fittings. I had them in my loop. They're a pain in the arse. The little tool to tighten/loosen them is garbage. The little teeth are prone to bending amd you end up scratching the ever living hell out of the fitting trying to get if on/off. Either get good compressions, or good straight barbs with clamps. Not worth the money for center less fittings imo. As for pumps, I'd go with the swiftech. They're renowned for their reliability. And their customer service and subsequently their warranty process is very good as well. They stand behind their products. Particularly their pumps. I own the UT 60 240mm amd the 360 mm variations. Had them both In push pull configurations inside of an NZXT switch 810 without having to mod a single thing. Was cooling a heavily overclocked fx 9370 amd 2 gtx 670s at the time. They're great rads for when quietness and decent overclocking headroom is your goal. They mediocre for super high end overclocking. My UT 60 360 mm radiator with all 6 fans at full tilt of 2200 rpm each, still let my 9370 at 5.0 get reach max safe temp level. 1.55v to the core. Keep this in mind. Other than that, build looks solid

I highly recommend NOT getting monsoon fittings. I had them in my loop. They're a pain in the arse. The little tool to tighten/loosen them is garbage. The little teeth are prone to bending amd you end up scratching the ever living hell out of the fitting trying to get if on/off. Either get good compressions, or good straight barbs with clamps. Not worth the money for center less fittings imo. As for pumps, I'd go with the swiftech. They're renowned for their reliability. And their customer service and subsequently their warranty process is very good as well. They stand behind their products. Particularly their pumps. I own the UT 60 240mm amd the 360 mm variations. Had them both In push pull configurations inside of an NZXT switch 810 without having to mod a single thing. Was cooling a heavily overclocked fx 9370 amd 2 gtx 670s at the time. They're great rads for when quietness and decent overclocking headroom is your goal. They mediocre for super high end overclocking. My UT 60 360 mm radiator with all 6 fans at full tilt of 2200 rpm each, still let my 9370 at 5.0 get reach max safe temp level. 1.55v to the core. Keep this in mind. Other than that, build looks solid

Thanks for the tips. Guess I will go for Bitspower or Enzotech.

Given your info about performance, I thought also changing a bit my loop to account for faster fans. At 3ft, these Noctua or NB fans (don't if go for 1800, 2000 or 2300 rpm) should be under 35db even when at full speed.

This is more or less what I was thinking about...

phantom820-7b.jpg

Drop the 200 mm fans. They won't add to CFM and just aren't made for CFM, they will restict airflow. Size fans the same on both sides if you must, wierd things happen when you have diff on each side.

I know that is not pretty, but I made it :)

That red VGA cable is really bad. Dunno why EVGA didn't make them black.

Now I have the 980 @ 1380/1960 and it hits around 40C load. For the CPU, I have two profiles that I have to test better: [email protected] and [email protected].
In the first case, temps are in the low 50s. In the second, in the lows 60s.

My current fans/pump profile is 50-60% for load (so 1000-1200 rpm) and they are inaudible behind the PSU fan.

IMG_20141201_202741.jpg

I know that is not pretty, but I made it :)

That red VGA cable is really bad. Dunno why EVGA didn't make them black.

Now I have the 980 @ 1380/1960 and it hits around 40C load. For the CPU, I have two profiles that I have to test better: [email protected] and [email protected].
In the first case, temps are in the low 50s. In the second, in the lows 60s.

My current fans/pump profile is 50-60% for load (so 1000-1200 rpm) and they are inaudible behind the PSU fan.

View attachment 156801

Very nice. Congrats! :clap:

How are you ambient, water and delta temps? Should be extremely good at low noise while at full bore. Are you still adding 2 more 980s?

Btw, what happened with your disastrous X99 that you speak of? I might have missed something but it caught my eye since I am going through it as well.

Very nice. Congrats! :clap:

How are you ambient, water and delta temps? Should be extremely good at low noise while at full bore. Are you still adding 2 more 980s?

Btw, what happened to your disaster with the X99? I might have missed something but it caught my eye since I am going through it as well.

Ambient is now around 20C, don't know this afternoon. When I turned on the PC, water was around 23C and after 1h of CPU (OCCT) at 1.3v it was 27.5 (fans at 1000rpm).

EVGA just approved my step up, but I'm not sure what to do. In three weeks I will go back to my family for Christmas and will be back in mid-January. When I'm back, I'll probably try to understand what is going on. I.e. there will be a 980 Ti, Titan II, etc..?

CPU is now more important than GPU, since I need it for work

By the way, I bought mobo+ram+CPU few days after the release since I was not super-busy. Mobo+cpu died after a couple of weeks. Tried a different board, but nothing. So I RMAed everything: ram, board and CPU.

Back