• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any suggestions for new card in older motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n3xtgen

Registered
Hi everyone!
I have been out of the game for a while and want to get back in and start to play some the new nextgen games (Shadows of Mordor, WatchDogs, Alien Isolation, etc)
However I am currently in a pickle as I am not too sure what I want to get. Currently my system is about 6 years old but works great, the only thing I need to replace would be the video card. Since my current motherboard does not support PCI Express 3.0 (only 2.0) I dont what to get. I have read that if I were to get a PCI Express 3.0 video card it would still work on my current 2.0 slot. Is this correct?

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI LE (http://www.evga.com/articles/00481/)
CPU: Intel i7 920
Current Card: ASUS EAH4870

I want to turn my system into a watercooled one in the next month or two and would prefer a card where I can buy a full cover waterblock for it.
Currently looking at the EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-RX GeForce GTX 660 2GB which is $150 for a refurb model (would prefer an EVGA card).
Any other suggestions?
Price range around $200 for now

Thanks!

Thanks for the recommendation AMTINSIDE.
I tried to look up waterblocks for the EVGA GTX 760 but cant seem to find any. Do you know of anywhere I could get some?

Thanks!

IIRC that GPU should fit with any reference water block for the 670/760.
Don't count on that though, I haven't messed with the 760 stuff in a while.

That said, the 760 runs cool enough that I wouldn't worry about watercooling it.
And the block will cost half of what the GPU does.

If you're planning for a $200 GPU and $100 block, why not just buy a GTX 970?

270/270x and 280/280x can all be found now for near 200 dollars depending on where you live, i ran a 270x for almost 7 months with a i7 920 first gen and a old pci 2 mobo. Now the 280/x cards are closer to 200 usd then 300 id probably go for one of them.

270/270x and 280/280x can all be found now for near 200 dollars depending on where you live, i ran a 270x for almost 7 months with a i7 920 first gen and a old pci 2 mobo. Now the 280/x cards are closer to 200 usd then 300 id probably go for one of them.

A 970 will mop the floor with any of those cards, notice the OP's change of direction.

Back