• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair air 240 build (First Build advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rothery

Registered
Hi, so ive posted a few times for advice and people have been a big help, finally getting to grips with what I want to do. I want something nice and powerful for everyday use, I'm also dabbling in app building and want some reasonable gaming performance. On top of that i want it to be power efficient, quiet and look nice through the side window. I've already bought some components, but theres more to get and advice would be very helpful. So heres my build.

Case: Corsair air 240 (PURCHASED)
CPU: Intel core i5 4440
GPU: Msi GeForce gtx 750 ti Twin Frozr (PURCHASED)
PSU: Be Quiet! 580w
Mobo: MSI Z87M GAMING (probably overkill since im not using an unlocked cpu but frankly it looked cool and i wanted it :))
Storage: Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD (PURCHASED)
Storage: Western Digital Cavalier Blue 1TB 7200rpm
Memory: 4x4GB G.skill Ripjaws Z Series DDR3-1866 (PURCHASED)

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated, but my main reason for posting is the cooling side of things, an area that still confuses me somehow. You may or may not be familiar with this case, but it comes pre-installed with 2 x 120mm fans on the front and 1 x 120mm fan on the top. Also there is very little clearance for a cpu cooler at only 120mm. Do I need more fans? suggestions for CPU cooling? I presume the stock i5 4440 cpu cooler wont fit.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that motherboard will fit in that case. The stock intel cooler will easily fit in there. With no overclocking going on, and the use of a 750 Ti Graphics Card, the fans that come with the case should be plenty.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speedy responses. Nice to know the stock fans will do the trick. What about the cpu cooler though? Will I need to go for water cooling? If so where do I fit the radiator for it? Or are there air coolers that are small enough?

Why wouldn't the stock cooler fit?

I read that there only 120mm clearance for the cooler. Most air coolers I look at seem bigger than that. Or am I misunderstanding? Excuse me being a noob lol.

The stock cooler is nowhere near 120mm tall, you have all the space in the world for it :)

The stock cooler is probably around 50mm, so you're good there.

Edit: ^^ yea, what he said ;)

You could probably go with a lower power PSU if you wanted to save a few bucks. A quality 450w would probably run an i5 and 750ti just fine. The bigger one does give you headroom if you upgrade the GPU later tho.

The stock cooler is probably around 50mm, so you're good there.

Edit: ^^ yea, what he said ;)

You could probably go with a lower power PSU if you wanted to save a few bucks. A quality 450w would probably run an i5 and 750ti just fine. The bigger one does give you headroom if you upgrade the GPU later tho.

I did look at getting a Lower psu but the be quiet! Psu is fairly cheap and has really good reviews. The only decent alternative I managed to find was the corsair builder series and there were a few cases of them making weird noises which steered me towards the be quiet! Psu.

Also, any reason why you went 4x4 instead of 2x8 on the ram?

With the ram I originally bought a bundle of 4 pairs of them for a good price. The plan being to sell 3 pairs and have a pair for myself for free, which I could have done. Then I bought the msi motherboard and I has 4 slots, so I feel like keeping them now. Are there advantages of to having2x8gb over 4x4gb? They also look nice with all 4 and fit the red colour scheme I'm going for lol.

I did look at getting a Lower psu but the be quiet! Psu is fairly cheap and has really good reviews. The only decent alternative I managed to find was the corsair builder series and there were a few cases of them making weird noises which steered me towards the be quiet! Psu.

Good reasoning. I had to RMA a CX-series PSU, myself, so I understand your decision. Headroom isn't a bad thing, either :thup:

With the ram I originally bought a bundle of 4 pairs of them for a good price. The plan being to sell 3 pairs and have a pair for myself for free, which I could have done. Then I bought the msi motherboard and I has 4 slots, so I feel like keeping them now. Are there advantages of to having2x8gb over 4x4gb? They also look nice with all 4 and fit the red colour scheme I'm going for lol.

If you already have them, definitely keep them. Especially since you won't be overclocking, it won't make any difference at all. If you overclock, sometimes you can get better results with just 2 modules instead of 4 since it puts less strain on the CPU's IMC.

Then that's what I'll stick with. Thanks for the input. Puts my mind at ease knowing people with experience agree:D

Watch this video. It discusses your case in depth.

I'm inclined to agree with Lauren, this case works better with an ITX mobo. Given that you only want to use 1 low power GPU I see no point in going mATX, personally. Sure, you can use 4 DIMMS, but otherwise? No point. JM2C. It will work fine with mATX but I'd use it as an ITX case personally.

I love the case that you are going with. I was so close to getting that case before I found the NZXT that I have. Looking to be a decent build so far. Make sure to keep everyone here posted.

I love the case that you are going with. I was so close to getting that case before I found the NZXT that I have. Looking to be a decent build so far. Make sure to keep everyone here posted.

Yeah I love the design of the air 240 case, and from what I gather for a small form factor case it should be easy enough for a first time builder. I can see why you'd consider the h4440 case, really nice. First I've seen of it.

I'm a bit stuck for building now. The rest of the parts I'll be getting on my birthday. Next month. When I build I'll be sure to post though :)

Back