• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 860 and Radeon R9 290X in Cinebench R15

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YanWest

Here is the results of Core i7 860 and Radeon R9 290X

Of cource Fraps worked all over the process of testing, so it took some part of perfomace.

Core i7 860

Radeon R9 290X

So the results very nice for 5 year old CPU. Multitread performance is the same like AMD FX has. Single tread performance is better than FX has.
;)

What do you mean?

He means he's not surprised.

(he's saying AMD sux.)

Seriously though, when a company's current gen 6 core performs the same as their 6 core from like 4+ years ago, clock for clock, you really have to wonder...

When I see people with like $1000+ budgets choosing AMD, I die a little inside, and an angel loses its wings...

(he's saying AMD sux.)

Seriously though, when a company's current gen 6 core performs the same as their 6 core from like 4+ years ago, clock for clock, you really have to wonder...

When I see people with like $1000+ budgets choosing AMD, I die a little inside, and an angel loses its wings...

Previously, I've thought about going to FX-8350 from my Core i7 860, but after close look I realized that it wouldn't get much performance.

(he's saying AMD sux.)

Actually, they were performing better per clock.

IIRC, my Thubans (6cores) @4.2GHz were doing 7.40pts in Cinebench 11.5, which is what a FX8350 (8cores) [email protected].

Last edited:
Anyway, I think that AMD FX 8320 is the best buy for the budget PC. Even taking into consideration that it's slower than Core i5 in some soft and games.

^If you take in consideration that you need a $80 cooler at least and a $160+ mobo to run it properly, when the stock cooler and a $90 mobo will run the 4690k, the game changes...

Edit: gaming wise, an i3 does the same or better.

^If you take in consideration that you need a $80 cooler at least and a $160+ mobo to run it properly, when the stock cooler and a $90 mobo will run the 4690k, the game changes...

Edit: gaming wise, an i3 does the same or better.

From one side, I'm as a user of Intel can agree with you, but from other side not.
If you take FX 8350 and not overclock it or overclock without voltage rising ( to 4.3-4.4), It will not be heating a lot much than stock. Yes, it will need cooler, but not Noctua or SilverArrow, one's be fine with CM 212. As for mobo- 120-130$ will live fine with decent overclocked FX without pushing the limits up to 5.0 Ghz.
In some games Core i3 can be little faster than 8350, but mostly in old ones. In 3DmaX, Vegas, Adobe Premiere, etc. - FX will be just more faster.
Core i3 is waste of money for sure.

Core i5 is faster than FX but anyway - I don't like the idea of 4 cores in 2014. I swapped to Core i7 1 year ago and 8 threads fills much better in Sony Vegas.

So, for general purpose AMD works better for it's money.

Asrock pro3 + 4590k@4GHz + stock cooler = $330 (egg pricing)
UD3+ [email protected] + Hyper 212 = $330 (egg pricing)

Same price, FX 8350 much slower in single thread an slower in multi threaded applications.

Asrock pro3 + 4590k@4GHz + stock cooler = $330 (egg pricing)
UD3+ [email protected] + Hyper 212 = $330 (egg pricing)

Same price, FX 8350 much slower in single thread an slower in multi threaded applications.

Do you think that Intel Stock cooler can keep 4590k out of trotting?

It's the third Asrock board I have (z68, z77 and now z97).

All of them were great actually, no issue whatsoever.

Oh yes, one, the cmos chip got corrupted on the z77 (not a common issue, but I've seen a few guys on the web to whom it happened, with both Asrock and Asus z68/z77) boards: I could not get the multi above stock and the iGPU settings vanished from the bios.

Funny thing is that it happened also with my Asus P8z68-v Pro...

I haven't been using AMD since Athlon XP times, thought.

Anyway, the prices are so great now that even having Core i7 I sometimes caches myself on the idea to build second rig, AMD based ote. )) Just for fun and rendering.

^That yes!

I got a FX8150 running@5GHz a couple of years ago (watercooled) and still have a [email protected] on a Sabertooth 990FX r2.

They are really fun to overclock.

And sure, they are not bad CPU's, but Intel does better.

Can you imagine that AMD single thread perf per clock actually dropped since the Phenom II era?

Back