• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I just purchased "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013" through my company under the "Home Use Program". Are all versions of Office 2013 designed to mostly reside on a MS server somewhere or are there versions, as I think this one is, that completely install on my computer?

I would rather continue to use the 2010 version than to require internet access to use this software.

If you bought the full version of 2013, it is just like previous versions. Office 365 is the "online one", but it still installs the full version to your system; it is a subscribe model.

I just purchased "Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013" through my company under the "Home Use Program". Are all versions of Office 2013 designed to mostly reside on a MS server somewhere or are there versions, as I think this one is, that completely install on my computer?

I would rather continue to use the 2010 version than to require internet access to use this software.

Sounds like someone is on NMCI

It is a completely a local install. If you used the "Advanced" or "Customize" tab during install (can't remember what is is called), you can choose the components you want to install. An internet connection is only required for activation.

Last edited:
When I downloaded the software the only thing that downloaded were small .exe installer files. I am not going to use them as I do not want to to take any chance of ending up with the unacceptable installation where an internet connection is needed to use the software (as happened a little less than two years ago when I bought the then new 2013 version through the same program with a previous employer). That version of 2013 has never been used because of that. Within the next few days I should receive the three backup disks (Office, Visio, Project) and will use these disks after verifying they have the full program on them. Previously I did not buy the backup disks and naively used the downloaded installer.

The small exe file pulls the installer from their servers.

Why are you against your internet connection being used to download the files? If they were obtained legally they there should be no issue. As Thid mentioned, those small files simply pull from their servers.

The question is: do they make internet mandatory for re-installs or do those files pull the installation files which can then be used to install the program in the future off-line and only connect when activating?

The question is: do they make internet mandatory for re-installs or do those files pull the installation files which can then be used to install the program in the future off-line and only connect when activating?

The answer is the versions of installer used is important. If using the "click to run" installer you can pull the files down, as it provides command line switches that enable you to download the installation files for offline use in the future. The google query "click to run command line switches" will produce more details for those interested.

I have tested this with Office 365, but it holds true with any version of office that has a click to run installer available. I believe that includes office 2013. You can identify a click to run installer as an end user - shortly after the install starts you can start using the apps its installing, and the installer streams the components you need while you do it, while at the same time installing the whole shebang.

Also... hi buddy, hope you are well. :)

Wow WOW.GIF He has been found!

Can't tell you how much you were missed.
Glad to see you and hope all is well with you. I'm doing OK. ;)

Why are you against your internet connection being used to download the files? If they were obtained legally they there should be no issue. As Thid mentioned, those small files simply pull from their servers.

It intuitively does not sit right with me to be dependent on anything at all from the internet and introduce potential problems that could result in not having access to the software, slower responses, and especially the vulnerability that now exists with private data being visible on somebody elses server. I also do not like the idea of my program residing on MS servers instead of my computer as that gives MS too much control over how I use it. I bought the program and I want it self contained on my machine. Considering how cheap local storage is it seems crazy and irresposible to do it any other way. I also will not use the so called "Cloud"; no way no how. Why would anyone in their right mind trust a cloud server when there have been so many breaches recently including supposedly secure giants like Apple and Dropbox? It is just not going to happen as long as I have control over it.

With respect your comment "If they were obtained legally" I assure you all my versions of Office are and I find it incredibly offensive you would suggest they were not. Why would you even think that might be the case because I want to keep things simple, reliable, fast, and, most important, safe?

Your points on wishing to avoid cloud storage and avoid any kind of dependance on internet for continuous use of program after activation is valid.

As stated before, perhaps you can *pull* the actual install files down and then subsequent to that, have total control over actual installation media? Office 365 is the version you don't want. Office 2013 can function separate from internet indefinitely once activated. So the only question then is obtaining the installation files, perhaps they can be downloaded as stated in post above yours? Or else ordering a CD or DVD of Office 2013 is the only way to go.

When you run that exe, it installs a local version of Office. It does not require internet once installed. It does not upload your files to ~~~~the cloud~~~~ unless you explicitly ask. I don't know why you are getting all up in arms about an issue that does not exist.

You may be able to obtain the .iso files through MS. With my previous employer, I was able to get Office 2010 through HUP, and I was able to get the .iso.

If there is something you need to work on remotely, One Drive and free Outlook.com account is great. I only store things that I might need to work on remotely, on One Drive.

Always relying on the internet to install the program can be a problem, there are rural areas without internet connection in the United States, let alone abroad.
But as I.M.O.G. stated, perhaps the switches can enable him download the installation files for offline use in the future...

The internet would only be required for quick activation, unless Microsoft offers Phone Activation of Office 2013?

Back