• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading 775 system to 1150 system. Reinstall OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bardos

Back in the day I would always have to do a repair install of the OS when changing motherboards and systems. Is this still the case? I wouldn't be able to clone my C:\drive to the new 1150 system? correct? I would have to do a reinstall of Win7? Clean? or Upgrade would work?

It's likely that when you upgrade that Win 7 would work with the new setup after loading the drivers and such. Though, doing a clean install is your best bet.

Yes, I would back up any important files to a drive other than your main OS drive. Then do a full reinstall on whichever drive you want to be your main OS drive (boot drive).

You're switching to a completely different chipset on a different board, and that's usually hit or miss when it comes to switching an OS drive from one board to another. It can sometimes be done going from Intel board to another Intel board, or one AMD board to another AMD board, but it doesn't always work as intended.

Back everything up, remove all the current drivers you possibly can, then try rebooting once the new system is together. Chances are going from Intel to Intel it'll boot to the desktop. Then reinstall all your drivers again, especially chipset and ME. Once you get all that done, run some benchmarks to check performance. If things seem good, then you're all set.

Having said all that, a fresh install is the preferred method here, but it's not always necessary.

So I have one system with a gigabyte 775 board and the hard drive has win 7 sp1 installed. I used that box to place my new ga-z87ud3h running F9 bios with a g3258 cpu. I tried to start it up directly and blue-screened. Par for the course. I was sure it could not handle the 1150 chipset. That's my theory, which is why we always have to do repair or clean installs on upgrading motherboards. I then tried to do an upgrade install and no way. One has to actually be at the desktop in windows to do this. So I installed from scratch, a clean install.

Here's the thing, the destination of this motherboard is in another working system which uses the same motherboard as the first. What I am thinking of doing is, before placing the new motherboard inn the box, to install the newest chipset inf files from Intel into this version of win 7 and then remove the old mobo and put in the new one.

What are the odds of booting to the desktop for a repair install?

Using the same motherboard pretty much guarantees a flawless transfer, no need to do anything except for making sure you connect *nothing* to the board other than a single hard drive on the initial boot.
Add every other peripheral, from drives to cards after booting initially.

Using the same motherboard pretty much guarantees a flawless transfer, no need to do anything except for making sure you connect *nothing* to the board other than a single hard drive on the initial boot.
Add every other peripheral, from drives to cards after booting initially.

the final destination for the 1150 is a box using 775 chipset and working well. I want to swap out the mobos. Sorry if I misled in that post

I just want to report that after installing the newest Intel chipset drivers on my "old" windows 7 install and then switching from a 775 mobo to an 1150 one. The first bootup actually got to the desktop, then blue-screened. There were hardware adjustments to be made on the driver side. It self-rebooted to a perfect desktop and for the past few days it's been working perfectly. My theory proved to be true, at least for me. A seamless upgrade. Who would have thought?

I just want to report that after installing the newest Intel chipset drivers on my "old" windows 7 install and then switching from a 775 mobo to an 1150 one. The first bootup actually got to the desktop, then blue-screened. There were hardware adjustments to be made on the driver side. It self-rebooted to a perfect desktop and for the past few days it's been working perfectly. My theory proved to be true, at least for me. A seamless upgrade. Who would have thought?

How did you install the latest Intel 1150 Windows 7 drivers on an Intel LGA775 platform?
Did you just force install the drivers and not reboot between installing each and every
separate driver (for SATA controllers, INF, LAN, USB, chipset etc.)?

It's a little bit hard to remember exactly when I did what, but I think I can remember what I did and in what order. I have been techie-ing since the mid-nineties with lots of experience in new windows OS's and upgrading motherboards. My first rig was a 486 120Mgz CPU and believe it or not it still runs. I sold it many years ago.

Sorry for the tangent. As I wrote before, my theory of why I (or we) Blue Screen if I upgrade the mobo and keep the old C:\ drive without adding or subtracting anything is that it's the new chipset which confounds the current system. So all I did was download the latest Intel chipset drivers, version 10, and install them on my C:\ drive of my old setup on the Gigabyte 775 mobo (p35-ds3l). It appears that I'm a Gigabyte person now, I used to be an Asus person in mobos.

Nothing else was done. I then removed the 775 mobo and replaced it with the new one, a Gigabyte z87x-ud3h (with cpu and memory already installed) connected up all the cables and it worked as I reported. First time that's ever happened to me. It was then that I installed the LAN, audio, usb drivers.

I've had two gigabyte boards die on me (LGA-775 p45t-UD3LR and an old socket A board).

I swore I'd never buy Asrock again after the fiasco I had w/my LGA 775 Dual VSTA (nearly
all the caps in the board are noticeably bulging). But I bought another one anyway and haven't
regretted it...yet.

Back