• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to hack the BIOS to unlock overclocking settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

i have an ASUS M11BB desktop and i want to overclock my memory to improve my APU performance. but being that this is a brand name PC the settings are locked in the BIOS. is there any way to hack it to unlock these settings if they're hidden?

Typically with an oem, you cannot overclock. Even if you could, the quality of the the components could not handle the heat. Phase count of the motherboard, and the oem hsf just won't cut it.

well say i buy a new motherboard, would it be worth it to try and overclock for an APU? or would i be better off buying a faster one/ getting more memory at a higher speed? right now i have a single 8GB 1600MHz stick with an A8-6500

If you are planning on building a new rig, I'd put the money towards that project. The oem has a no name psu which I wouldn't trust for overclocking. More memory is usually helpful, but for gaming, I really don't see any gains, as far as the motherboard, it may have proprietary pwer connections, and so would that psu.

well say i buy a new motherboard, would it be worth it to try and overclock for an APU? or would i be better off buying a faster one/ getting more memory at a higher speed? right now i have a single 8GB 1600MHz stick with an A8-6500
It's always "worth it" to OC and yes if you get a new motherboard you should be able to OC it. I would also consider getting a better PSU then the OEM one. Though, you have to weigh whether getting a new board that is quality enough to OC on is going to be worth the cost as opposed to getting a better APU. If it were just for the fun of Ocing then I'd say go for the new board.

well i was thinking of going kaveri, the A10-7850K. would there be any significant gain from getting this than a richland A10 (kaveri would require a board change, richland would not)

The A10 7850k is a really nice chip I bought one recently for my father and I really liked it.

i already have 8GB of RAM but it's a single stick. would it be worth it to get another 8GB stick for dual channel, or should i simply get a 2x4GB kit? would 16GB make a difference?

the dual channel will make more of a difference than the 16gb will assuming that you do not use more than 8gb already. Adding more ram only 'pays off' when you are using it to its capacity.

With an Apu you will also see gains with higher rater speed ram such as 1866 or 2133.

Yes if it will run at 2400...if not you can always lower it and tighten the timings.

okay so i found out that the ASUS F2A55-M/CSM is the same board as my board, minus about 1 PCI-E slot. you can even see the connectors on my board where the extra slot would be. my board is the F2A55-M/M11BB/DP_MB. so would a BIOS update for the CSM board work for the board in my desktop? if it would, if the BIOS update for the CSM had overclocking options, would i be able to access these options by applying said update?

The only way you are going to do any overclocking on that system is if someone hacked the bios for the retail version of that board to be read as the M11BB version. I had an Asus CM1630 with an M4A78LT-M in it that I had to do that for to get my 1600mhz ram to run there.

The biggest thing though, is that your ram isn't running in dual channel mode. Effectively you are only running your memory at half speed right now. Seems to me that either buying the 2x4gb kit, or another stick matching the one you have would be your best bet. I would go with whichever is cheaper.

Back