• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reformat or driversweeper? for new GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

Just wondering for some quick opinions on the subject, a lot of people when getting new GPUs just uninstall the drivers then run driver sweeper before installing there new one. But it is said by many others that the best way is just to reformat the computer!?

obviously the reformat is mostly a way of knowing for sure that everything is in order, but is there anyone bold enough to say its a must must because x y an z.

Thanks

If going from AMD to AMD or Nvidia to Nvidia, a reformat would be a little excessive. Even switching from AMD to NVIDIA or the other way around shouldn't require a format, a good driver cleaning utility should be all you need.

No need to reformat.

What are you upgrading from/to? May not even be necessary to update drivers on some AMD products.

went from a AMD Sapphire 270x to a Nvidia Asus 970. Did driver sweeper for both amd and nvidia, and ccleaner on the registry as suggested in the post i linked. I will report back if i find any issues worth mentioning that a reformat is required.

I just updated to the latest driver, updated to the latest BIOS, and then upgraded the GPU. It all just worked. But I was sticking to Nvidia.

I'm not even uninstalling drivers when I'm switching graphics cards on my test rig :)

Guru3D's Display Driver Uninstaller is all you need. Does the same cleaning of Driver Sweeper/Fusion along with any registry cleanup necessary.

Nvidia and AMD cards can be installed together anyways so being overly thorough isn't all that important if you're swapping cards.

Back