• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 Graphics Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

We finally got our hands on a GTX 980 thanks to the fine folks at EVGA. They were kind enough to send along their Superclocked version featuring the new ACX 2.0 cooler. Based on the NVIDIA Maxwell GM204 GPU, the GTX 980 promises less power consumption than the previous flagship Kepler based GPUs and performance that meets or exceeds them. This is also our first chance to look at EVGA's new ACX 2.0 cooler that is said to run cooler, quieter, and use less power than previous versions. Let's get started and find out what the latest NVIDIA GPU technology and EVGA have in store for us.

Click here to view the article.

Mmmm, do want.

What resolution was the Surround testing done at though?

5760X1080 of course :) All benchmarks left on highest possible settings too.

Great review, and a really nice card. I'm glad that EKWB makes a full cover block for this card.

Nice to know they fixed the thermal design issue. Can you tell if the fans are resolver based or sensorless?

Wasn't the thermal design issue related to EVGA's GTX 970 cards?

Wasn't the thermal design issue related to EVGA's GTX 970 cards?

Nice to know they fixed the thermal design issue. Can you tell if the fans are resolver based or sensorless?

The "issue" was only with the 970 using the ACX 1.0 cooler.

That said, it really wasn't an issue, the fan curve was just turned up a bit too high causing some extra noise.

I think people were also complaining that the cooler wasn't centered on the GPU core too. Only two of the three heatpipes were contacting the core, or something to that effect.

I think people were also complaining that the cooler wasn't centered on the GPU core too. Only two of the three heatpipes were contacting the core, or something to that effect.

Oh yeah, that too, but the two heat pipes were as wide as the GPU core.

And the core was actually centered on the plate, the third pipe was off center of the plate and seems to be that way intentionally.

Actually it was the same cooler as on GTX760 and there it wasn't touching core with 1 heatpipe too. Somehow noone said a word till GTX970 release. EVGA GTX760 and GTX970 is about the same. Lot of noise about nothing as these cards run cool anyway.

Considering my 970 works nicely for 4K on the desktop but is a little laggy for 4K gaming, I would expect the 980 to do a little better but probably not by enough to make 4K worthwhile. Even on a 50" screen, the difference between 1080p (upscaled to 4K by the display) and 4K is surprisingly small for gaming and I much prefer to just switch to 1080p120 for games. Those who really want 4K gaming should go for a SLI setup.

i wish evga would get with the program and start using upgraded components like everyone else. the cooler seems nice but what's the point if the coils squeal? evga customer service + gigabyte g1 design is my dream.

i wish evga would get with the program and start using upgraded components like everyone else. the cooler seems nice but what's the point if the coils squeal? evga customer service + gigabyte g1 design is my dream.

I've had squeals out of "better" components as well.
Sometimes it's just how the PSU and the GPU work together that causes the squeal, not "bad" components.

I would be checking the quality of the PSU of anyone that's complaining about a squeal.

i guess the components aren't a huge deal as long as they let you switch out cards if you get a squealer which they probably would no problem. is it safe to assume the 970 acx 2.0 cooler is the same as the one on the 980? at least we know the fans are good and it's not loud at idle.

Back