• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel DuoCore T9500 vs Intel x7900

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d_clizzle

I've been thinking about upgrading the processor on my Acer Aspire 5315-2153 from the stock Intel Celeron processor to a more powerful DuoCore T9500. But when I read the specs on the P socket type X7900 I ran into a dilemma. Should I go with the slightly more powerful X7900, or stick to upgrading to the T9500?? Input to end this dilemma plz

Food for thought....

The Celeron M is a 30W TPD CPU. the x7900 is a 44W TDP CPU.... meaning your heat output will be more. I'd question if that Acers cooling system would handle it... as its a sub $400 laptop.

I would opt for a T7x00 CPU that is 34W TDP. The T7700 for example. You'll probably have better luck with that CPU.

Also.... a BIOS update may be required to support any new CPU you install.

-TC

You'd need to check and see if the laptop even supports higher-FSB CPUs. The Celeron M 530 is 533mhz FSB and the T7700 is 800mhz. If the laptop won't accept >533mhz CPUs your options are pretty limited as far as upgrades.

Posts online seem to suggest T7XXX CPUs will work (800FSB), so one of those should be OK up to the T7800. An X7900 would be too high TDP-wise, and I doubt a 1066mhz-FSB chip would work at all.
Something from the T5XXX-series would likely work too as they have 533mhz FSB. T9XXX might work but I'd try one of the 7/5 models before trying that.

Another thing to consider is that for the price of a CPU upgrade you're close to just buying a used e6400 on eBay instead that'll come with a newer chip and probably more RAM. After that the only worthwhile upgrade would be maybe an SSD (an 830 made a HUGE difference with my Dell laptop, moreso than more RAM).

Back