• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Listening

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berne

Hi,

I know little about the outside looking in on my pc BUT....one course I did take NETWORK+ ( which proved to tech for my understanding ) told me about the netstat command....

Using the netstat -a command I see many many ip addresses....I don't know if this is dangerous . Should I install any programe that will block outsiders prying into my pc and my browsing activity or
is it something that everyone must endure?

Do advise on best free programmes to block any possible prying eyes...

All good advice welcome.

Berne

Don't concern yourself with the output of netstat. If your machine is patched and protected by antivirus, you're probably fine. What you're looking at is a list of connections from your computer to any number of destinations, and the connections your machine is open to accept. If you're paranoid, you can google the port or service listed for each entry to make sure there aren't any known viruses associated with that port. Chances are, everything there is normal.

Back