• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using old PSU to power Peltier (thermometric)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

hi, i want to use an old PSU for powering my motors + peltier ect !

the question is:

if i use the ATX power cord, do the 5v+ 3.3v+ ect have Current limit? can i just plug my peltier + to 5V+ according to pinout and ground to ground ? and also how should i turn it on? should i connect the power_on to ground 5+ or 3.3+

Last edited:

im still waiting for my peltier + thermal grease + blablabla to come :D

and also, does it matter which of those 5v+ 12v+ ect i connet my device too ? do they all have the same draw limit ?

I'd be inclined to make one personally. It's simply a 24 pin extension with additional wires from the #13 and #14 pins (green and black) going to another 20 or 24 pin connector in the #13 and #14 pins. You could simply splice in the additional wires to an extension, an old non-working PSU would be a great donor for the extra wiring (I'm assuming a 24 pin extension can be found there) since you wouldn't need to source the crimp pins or the 20/24 pin connector. Heck, if you want, the wires could be spliced directly into your existing PSU's 24 pin cable (that would void any warranty though which is why I suggest an extension)

:eek: i thing i will just do it directly ! thats weird !(about voiding the warranty) i can just use some simple breadboard jumpers i guess !

becasue i don't have anything that i can use as extension :(

im still waiting for my peltier + thermal grease + blablabla to come :D

and also, does it matter which of those 5v+ 12v+ ect i connet my device too ? do they all have the same draw limit ?
It does matter, for one on performance the peltier provides and for another the PSU's abilities. On the side of the PSU is a label which explains the current limits of each voltage (3.3v & 5v usually a combined rating). On older PSU's the 5v had the strongest rail (highest current rating) while the 12v were weaker, while newer PSU's have a stronger 12v rail and the 3.3v and 5v commonly run around 20A. If your PSU has multiple 12v rails, go by the lowest value (just to be safe) of a single rail

:eek: i thing i will just do it directly ! thats weird !(about voiding the warranty) i can just use some simple breadboard jumpers i guess !

becasue i don't have anything that i can use as extension :(
You're gonna want 18ga wire minimum there, the breadboard jumpers are usually 22ga or 24ga, I'm thinking they'll burn up quickly

:eek:

i got a better ones ! (not jumpers) but the peltier wires themself are thinner than jumpers :D !

mine is not a great one ! its also 530w! :D

and the amp on 12v+ rail is more than enough !

i can go to the electronics store next to our house and buy some thick wire :D

edit:
i don't have an accurate GA measuring but my other wires seem like 19 18 Ga :)

once my peltiers arrived i will post here about how it went :D

edit: i can't belive it :D i just got out of school and saw the box sitting on my desk :D i thought its atleast gonna take 2 days :D

i played a little with peltiers with 9v batteries ! applied thermal grease to it and installed it on my old gpu heatsink ! (with nothing but paste !) :D my father is going to bring my psu soon :D

Last edited:
ok i did it ! the molex connectors sparked when i touched them ! but it worked :D the surface of the peltier was like 0 degrees ! and my heat sink was like 55 56 degrees (Celsius)

i put a glass on top of it and it only got 7 degrees cold !

i must work on it !

first, i can't bring that huge psu with myself everywhere, i need low power peltier that can't be found in my country :|
second: i need to buy a good and small cooler !
third: i need some other heatsink to transfer cold to inside the fridge :D

thanks anyway ! i had lots of fun ! used a lot of thermal grease :D

i already found an awesome box to use as the fridge ! (it doesn't let heat in!)

Back