• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1k Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idkfa

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping...2208bfafc41897cd97a558ddb777bb14f67bdbf204e80

A friend of mine is looking for a circa 1000€ gaming PC, also focussing on producing music and running adobe applications. He would also go for a cheaper option if viable. I thought of getting a 256GB SSD (MX100), 270X & I'm still figuring out if he really needs a BD writer. This would leave us with around 800€. I know this build lacks fans and I did not see whether the case fits a 970 GTX, however 460mm in height and 215mm in width are his max specs. I might even squeeze in a modular PSU if we go for the cheaper build.
Also the 970 is just a place holder, wanted to decide what exact 970 to get if I know if he wants to go for it. Also I'm not sure if coil whining will be an issue.
He himself is not an overclocker however he could live with a reasonable OC if I apply it. Although I'm pretty sure the xeon should be a better fit for him than an i5 K.
Any input so far?

Both your builds are very similar, and not too different from mine, so I guess we're going in the right direction :) He still thinks a 512GB might fit his needs (I don't know exactly how many programms he intends to store there).

As for the GTX 970, what specific model should I look into? Any 1st hand experiences with coil whining?

Not very many 970s available in Germany, but that Zotac is a pretty good one.

I would say a 500GB EVO is a good idea, my 256GB SSDs get a bit tight sometimes with games installed :p

Keep in mind adding more storage down the road is one of the easiest upgrades you can do. :) I'd personally start with a 256gb and by the time he fills it up, SSD bang for your buck will have increased and he can add additional drives.

Sorry for the late reply. We went with the budget version, a 256GB with the option to buy another one later and with a R9 270X. He said he didn't need the power of a 970 and wanted to be more in the 800€ range. Since the xeon is not for overclocking we went with a cheaper MoBo: ASRock H97 Pro4 Intel H97 So.1150 Dual
We did not order yet, this would be our build https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping...220c4818e59f71559669401f9a89e9f7ec2aa8cec2460

Back