• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build or scavenge old PC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hat about getting a used 3470 (or something like that) that could have still more than a year warranty (and which never break anyway unless you hammer it) for like a $100 and a 1155Mobo?

That would smoke the AMD setup fro the same price.

My 2 cents.

Or, a used Thuban X6, very good at multi tasking...

all of these threads remind me of this car audio video lol.

if the gpu is handling the acceleration why upgrade the cpu? is photoshop really that cpu intensive while using the gpu acceleration that its worth spending the extra $300+ for another cpu / mobo combo? wouldnt just buying an OK gpu with a new case, hdd, and psu be a better option?

Last edited:
She said yesterday "just tell me what to get and I'll get it". I know that doesn't mean i-7, but I am going to give her hte oprion of an i-5 and the amd.

Here's what I think for the i5:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6wHVLk

if the gpu is handling the acceleration why upgrade the cpu? is photoshop really that cpu intensive while using the gpu acceleration that its worth spending the extra $300+ for another cpu / mobo combo? wouldnt just buying an OK gpu with a new case, hdd, and psu be a better option?

That was what I thought in my original post. new solid state hard drive, new PSU, new case and GPU.

That was what I thought in my original post. new solid state hard drive, new PSU, new case and GPU.

Solid state drives are not hard drives. They are solid state drives. I urge you not to stick with your Q6600. It's too old, and a lot of stuff in photoshop relies heavily on the CPU. My friend is a graphic artist.

Solid state drives are not hard drives. They are solid state drives. I urge you not to stick with your Q6600. It's too old, and a lot of stuff in photoshop relies heavily on the CPU. My friend is a graphic artist.

its hard, and its a drive, not a floppy drive. so technically its a hard drive. just uses solid state technology instead of spinning disks. ya know since we are splitting hairs here.
and yea it would be cpu intensive...... if it didnt have a gpu doing the heavy lifting.

and as ATM said, yes i would be sure that the ram or motherboard isnt the issue before doing what i suggested before.

I was just on Adobe's website and it looks like a lot more things than I thought are GPU accelerated in PS CS6 than I thought. Still, I don't think the CPU should be neglected. I would rather see the OP get a decent GPU and a decent CPU than a "meh" CPU and a good GPU.

Hard drives (hard disk drives) are the only things that are hard drives. It has nothing to do with the physical hardness of the unit itself, it's just called a hard drive. Solid State drives share little in common with hard disk drives. Just sayin'. Not trying to get in your face or anything.

^A whole lot of thing are accelerated in CS6, from PS to Première, After Effect and Illustrator.

A decent i5 4cores and a mid range GPU (770/280x) would be my choice.

I've run it for a while on an i5 3470+280x, and it's already doing very well.

Not as fast than on the [email protected]+290x, but already very good!

^A whole lot of thing are accelerated in CS6, from PS to Première, After Effect and Illustrator.

A decent i5 4cores and a mid range GPU (770/280x) would be my choice.

I've run it for a while on an i5 3470+280x, and it's already doing very well.

Not as fast than on the [email protected]+290x, but already very good!

Hate to tell you, but just the i5 and 770 would be the entire budget...

Back