• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylesims

So, I'm need of a better remote access solution for my desktop and laptop.

Currently, I'm using Splashtop, because it's cheap and as a decent app for mobile devices, seems to run relatively fast and doesn't bog the machines down that the 'streamer' part is installed on.

My issue is that sometimes I forget to leave my desktop on, or my laptop has issues that make it greatly dislike Splashtop, like refusing to show windows that are opened.

What I'm looking for is something that remotes in at the bios-level, meaning I can connect to the machine even if it's turned off and send a signal that will boot it up, giving me access to boot screens remotely. Something similar to Dell's iDrac stuff that they have loaded in their newer servers.

I know Splashtop has the 'ability' to send a signal over the network and boot a computer up, which from everything I can find, works great... As long as it's not Windows 8. Windows 8 will only boot from ethernet if you put the computer in hibernate or sleep mode - Neither of which I'm keen on using.

I've found VNC, which seems like it's about $30 for the regular personal license.. But I think, to get boot-level support, it needs to be the VNC Viewer Plus. That's substantially more, coming in around $100.

Any other suggestions?

http://aquilawol.sourceforge.net/
Aquila wol opensource

I was looking for solutions for you and this popped up... just thinking you may be able to wol 3rd party app then find something cheap as a remote desktop solution :)

no idea about this software as I`ve never had a play :salute:

edit: a bit more in depth on win8 wol :-

[h=3]Wake-on-LAN behavior in Windows 8[/h]Wake-On-LAN is not officially supported from the S5 power state in Windows 7. In Windows 7, when you shut down the PC, the system is put into the S5 states and all devices are put into the D3 state, which is lowest power state.
In Windows 8, you may be aware that when you shutdown the computer, the system is put into the S4 hybrid shutdown or Hibernate state and the devices into the D3 state. Wake-On-LAN is supported from S3 (Sleep) or S4 (Hibernate) state in Windows 8.

Last edited:
http://aquilawol.sourceforge.net/
In Windows 8, you may be aware that when you shutdown the computer, the system is put into the S4 hybrid shutdown or Hibernate state and the devices into the D3 state. Wake-On-LAN is supported from S3 (Sleep) or S4 (Hibernate) state in Windows 8.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't put the computer into hibernate or sleep at night, because it wakes up when the dogs trip over the keyboard/mouse cords, which then lights up the room like the 4th of July with the three monitors, and wakes my girlfriend and I up. I often don't have time to turn my computer on before work, because I procrastinate and wake up at the last moment before I have to run out the door.. So I'm looking for a way to wake it up from a fully shut down state.

Dell's iDrac is the best comparison - From what I can tell, it's a bit of firmware that you log into through a webapp and will let you boot up/shutdown/access any form of boot screen. Could also be used to reinstall an OS if so desired, all from a remote station.

I don't believe my BIOS has that option. Atleast, not that I've seen.

I can turn it off in the OS, which I believe I've done but something still wakes it up at random times.

Back