• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this overclocking ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight.iran

Registered
hello guys, almost i don't know anything about overclocking and manual settings.
this is my system :

spec..jpg

and about my RAM, according to below picture when i test my ram with cpu-z and aida64, one of my friends who is really into overclocking...told me that these benchmarks and my settings aren't optimum for 2400 Mhz frequency and they are low. he said i should change timings for better and optimum settings.

http://cld.persiangig.com/preview/8CiHTYw6v5/aaa.jpg

he told me auto setting aren't so good and these settings are better both for ram and performance:

DRAM frequency: 2400Mhz
voltage: 1.65

Timings:

DRAM command rate : 2 -> 1
DRAM ref cycle time : auto -> 200
DRAM refresh interval : auto -> 65535

and in third timings:

tRDRD: auto -> 4
tRDRD_dr: auto -> 5
tRDRD_dd: auto -> 5

tWRWR: auto -> 4
tWRWR_dr: auto -> 5
tWRWR_dd: auto -> 5

+++++++++++++++++++++

and the results shows really better performance:

http://cld.persiangig.com/preview/aPQs1u2kQA/AIDA64.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++

and my questions:

1: have i done an Overclocking to my RAM by these settings ? or just changed the settings to a better and optimum settings ?
( you know, i am really sensitive about my hardwares, i mean i don't want to have them under pressure ! )

2: can i use this settings 24/7 ? ( 24 hours at 7 days )

3: do these changes take RAM under extra pressure ? :D

############

thanks before hand...

Welcome to the OCF :)

This is Samsung based memory so you can run timings pretty tight.
Check if you can make something like this ( timings in AIDA64 table ) http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139294&d=1392114200

If it won't work then keep sub timings and check main timings at:
- 2400 10-12-12-28 1N
- 2400 9-12-12-28 1N
- 2400 10-11-11-28 1N
all 1.65V

You can also keep these sub timings and try 2600 10-12-12-28 1N 1.65V.

These settings are safe for 24/7 work but best is to check stability. Can use memtest86+ and Prime95 blend test.

Welcome to the OCF :)

This is Samsung based memory so you can run timings pretty tight.
Check if you can make something like this ( timings in AIDA64 table ) http://www.overclockers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=139294&d=1392114200

If it won't work then keep sub timings and check main timings at:
- 2400 10-12-12-28 1N
- 2400 9-12-12-28 1N
- 2400 10-11-11-28 1N
all 1.65V

You can also keep these sub timings and try 2600 10-12-12-28 1N 1.65V.

These settings are safe for 24/7 work but best is to check stability. Can use memtest86+ and Prime95 blend test.

thanks a lot my friend, but as i said i am not really into overclocking...and i've been satisfied by these settings which i have. i just changed them because my friend said they're not so good at auto.
and i just wanna know, have i done an overclocking by changing those timings from auto to manually ? can we call this Overclocking or it's just a 2400MHz optimum timing ?
and do these values which i set, cause more pressure to the RAMS ? or maybe the whole system ?
thanks.

Well, looking from some point it was more timing tweaking than overclocking as you didn't raise memory clock above what manufacturer declared. This memory can run at even tighter timings without any special "pressure" on the system or memory itself that's why I gave you some additional settings to try.

Well, looking from some point it was more timing tweaking than overclocking as you didn't raise memory clock above what manufacturer declared. This memory can run at even tighter timings without any special "pressure" on the system or memory itself that's why I gave you some additional settings to try.

hmmm, thanks really my friend, i am really satisfied with these settings and just wanted to know whether these changes cause bad effect and pressure to my RAM or not, and you said it's OK. so can i call this optimum timing for a better performance at 2400mhz without extra pressure ?

as I said you can set some more but if you are satisfied with your results then I guess it's fine

The best thing to do on that motherboard is simply select the XMP profile for the memory. That particular board does a nice job with those G.Skill modules, even where settings are left on auto. ASUS does a darn good job with their Auto rules, and chances are the auto settings are as good or better than the ones your friend had you use. If you're not sure how to select the XMP profile, let us know and we can guide you through that. It's only one option in the BIOS that needs modified.

The best thing to do on that motherboard is simply select the XMP profile for the memory. That particular board does a nice job with those G.Skill modules, even where settings are left on auto. ASUS does a darn good job with their Auto rules, and chances are the auto settings are as good or better than the ones your friend had you use. If you're not sure how to select the XMP profile, let us know and we can guide you through that. It's only one option in the BIOS that needs modified.

thanks a lot my friend, no i know how to set x.m.p and i had x.m.p until my friend told me his settings are better both for ram and performance ( for ram, i mean a lower pressure to ram !!! )
does it make sense that rams on auto values work with more pressure than manually timings ?! as my friend said !!!!

and my main question is: i am NOT into overclocking, i just want to have enough performance in games ! do this new settings ( my friend ones ) have immense difference in compare to default x.m.p ?
and which one do you suggest for a person like me and for a lower pressure on ram and entire system ?

and also this is my ram stability test under 2400mhz and manually settings as i said:

hy1.jpg

hy2.jpg

thanks in advance...

Using XMP should also set the memory at 2400 MHz speed. I would just set the XMP profile and forget it....

Using XMP should also set the memory at 2400 MHz speed. I would just set the XMP profile and forget it....

hello, thanks for your suggestions.
i made my decision to leave it more relaxed by setting it on x.m.p.
but my x.m.p is a kind of weird ! it has 2 profiles,#1 at 2401mhz, and #2 at 2399Mhz
to my knowledge is should have 2133 also instead of 2399 ?!
if not, which one should i pick ?! and if i set x.m.p, will it be enough ?
thanks again...

Use the 2401 Profile, I've got that same memory kit and thats what I use.

Back