• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Open door on silent cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexisvx

Registered
Hi,
This might seem like a silly question but, on the silent PC cases that have front padded panel (such as the Fractal Design Define R3 ATX Tower), are you supposed to leave the panel open or closed when using the computer? I am wondering as having the panel closed would limit airflow and opening it up would increase noise, in which case what's the point? The computer would be used mainly for gaming.
Thanks

I've got the h440 from NZXT and its a padded case for sound proofing and I keep it closed. Actually runs couple degrees warmer when open. As long as you have good airflow through your case you will be fine.

I have a H440 and it's quite quality's are useless. It's quite because the stock fans are very slow and it basically has no air flow what so ever. What tiny bit of flow it has is halted because of the filters for the psu and front fans. For the front panel I took out the worthless NZXT fans and installed three old Scythe 120 x 25mm 110cfm fans I had from a old build I never used. I then removed the sound deading material from the front panel. I got the dremel out and opened up the bottom intake cut out. And also opened up the top of the panel with a tasteful and semi hidden cut out. It now moves a bit of air. BUT it makes some noise now. On the top panel I took the rear grill out and cut that area open so the H100i could breath. I may take out the top panel sound deading material at some point. The front and top panels are made out of a very dense, heavy plastic that have little to no resonating issues. For plastic panel they are heavy and very solid.

I've got very good airflow with mine with the stock fans I took out the hdd trays except for the very bottom one and my ssds sit in front of the mobo. I don't use the dust screens. For just gaming it stays nice and cool. When I bench I use a test bench. I'm sure if I were doing things like that it would hear up a lot. But my max temp doesn't go over 50c

Back