• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making my rig colder?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Closed.

As for the cable management, that was done by a compute technician. I generally avoid installing my own hardware because it always ends in disaster.

Someone recommended the following to me: 10 fans is too many -- you'll just end up blowing air everywhere without cooling properly.
If you're going to stick with that case, you should have 5 fans and yes I'd dump the fans that came with the case.
Because of how restrictive the airflow can be over the drive bays, I'd put another intake on the side or the bottom in addition to one in the top.
To summarize:
Front Intake: 2x NF-P12/F12
Rear Exhaust: 1x NF-P12/F12
Top Intake: 1x NF-A14 in the forward position only (block rear position if possible)
Side Intake: 1x NF-P12/F12 OR Bottom Intake: 1x NF-A14
Be sure to consider pricing here. You may be better off buying a FT-02, FT-05, RV02, RV03, or RV05 because they come with very good fans and have near perfect airflow out of the box.
Edit: And yes, NH-D15 for the CPU cooler.
That's too many intake fans and not enough exhaust fans.

Four intake fans and one exhaust is horribly imbalanced.

You would have cool air going into the case, but the hot air would not be exhausted fast enough. Which would result in hot air being recirculated around inside the case over and over. Some hot air would slowly be exhausted yes, but not fast enough, and there would be a buildup of hot air, resulting in your components getting hotter.

Also, fans in the top of a case should normally be installed as exhaust fans, not intakes.

Seems whoever suggested that really likes Noctua fans.

Temps are fine :)

I'm/was running on my motherboard's power saving mode, don't know if that changes anything. On regular the comp starts to sound like a helicopter.

My system seems easily overclockable, at least according to the user friendly BIOS. It's absolutely not worth it to invest in better fans/heatsink?

That's too many intake fans and not enough exhaust fans.

Four intake fans and one exhaust is horribly imbalanced.

You would have cool air going into the case, but the hot air would not be exhausted fast enough. Which would result in hot air being recirculated around inside the case over and over. Some hot air would slowly be exhausted yes, but not fast enough, and there would be a buildup of hot air, resulting in your components getting hotter.

Also, fans in the top of a case should normally be installed as exhaust fans, not intakes.

So what would you recommend? So far the consensus seems to be the statu quo.

Seems whoever suggested that really likes Noctua fans.

They're pretty good according to the benchmarks that I saw. But yeah; to be honest, I never heard of them before.

I've decided to move ahead with my cooling upgrade. (made some good money on eBay by selling my console potatoes)

However I'm still lost at the whole intake/exhaust thing that was mentioned in Tech Tweaker's post.

So far it looks like this:
1x NZXT Kraken X60
Front Intake: 2x Noctua NF-F12
Rear Exhaust: 1x Noctua NF-F12
Top Intake: 1x Noctua NF-A14 in the forward position only (block rear position if possible)
Side Intake: 1x Noctua NF-F12 OR Bottom Intake: 1x Noctua NF-A14

Hopefully it all fits. Haven't ordered yet so no hurry.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are lost about. Generally... your airflow should be top/rear = exhaust, front/sides = intake. Make that happen.

Hi, it's me again! :D Hope I'm not annoying.

I decided to replace my current case (Rosewill Blackhawk) with a NZXT Phantom 820 and my current heatsink (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) with a NZXT Kraken X61.
I have one question however. Are the OEM fans of the case good enough? I've heard many good things about the Noctua F-12s or A-14s. Money isn't really an issue.

Further, would it be worth it to add more fans? If yes, which ones? Product page: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/96-phantom-820-full-tower-case

Repetition of computer specs:
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Intel i7 4930
2x G.Skill 8GB DDR3
2x Gigabyte G1 GTX 980 4GB
750W Rosewill Xtreme PSU

I would stick with the fans the case came with for now, they're not the best but they should do much better than the ones in your Rosewill system.

When you put the X61 in the top of the case, set it up to be exhaust.
Move the 120mm fan from the top of the case to the bottom and set it as an intake.

This should give you plenty of airflow.

If your temps still aren't where you want them then look at getting more/better fans.

What do you guys think (too many fans? I have no f**king clue what I'm doing?):

Top: 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Front: 1x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200
Bottom: 2 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
Side: 1x Cooler Master MegaFlow 200
Pivot: 1 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM

Based on: http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/96-phantom-820-full-

I asked my techie about water cooling. If he's familiar I'm probably going that route instead.

Didn't mean to offend. It's just I don't have patience to be incremental. :p

Modified this for the faster solution:

I would stick with the fans the case came with for now, they're not the best but they should do much better than the ones in your Rosewill system.

When you put the X61 in the top of the case, set it up to be exhaust.
Move the 120mm fan from the top of the case to the bottom and set it as an intake.

Finally decided to go with the Phantek Primo. I'm ditching the Noctua idea since it would be crazy expensive for only a difference of 1-2 degrees. (If I'm reading this right: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page7.html) I'm also going to order five additional*PH-F140SP fans to attain its maximum air cooling potential. Still haven't changed the x61 Kraken idea for the heatsink role.
Sadly the case is backordered at every Canadian outlet. Amazon.ca has one, but it's white. :(

The case fans that come with the rosewill cases, at least the ones that came with my challenger u3, suck. They started to grind real loud when I start my computer up first thing in the morning for about a minute or so. After that they were fine but I replaced em with a couple of cougars I got on newegg on sale. Much better, and damn silent.

Finally decided to go with the Phantek Primo. I'm ditching the Noctua idea since it would be crazy expensive for only a difference of 1-2 degrees. (If I'm reading this right: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1345-page7.html) I'm also going to order five additional*PH-F140SP fans to attain its maximum air cooling potential. Still haven't changed the x61 Kraken idea for the heatsink role.
Sadly the case is backordered at every Canadian outlet. Amazon.ca has one, but it's white. :(
White is really nice. Everyone I know who has one loves it .. but most everyone with an Enthoo Primo loves it. :D

The 5 fans included in the Primo should be all the case fans you will need. I would use them all as intake plugged to the included PWM controlled 3-pin fan hub and CPU fan header on motherboard. The Primo has plenty of venting for exhaust with all fans intake, and fans have good enough static pressure rating to push the air through case no problem. If your GPU heated exhaust is mixing with air going into your CLC, a top rear exhaust might help. Need to test and see using a temperature probe to monitor air temp going into radiator.

I use a cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with wired probe. Here's one ready to use. Not pretty, but very functional.
5464e11e-6dfb-431d-8cb5-0b2b88229684_zpsec54bc38.jpg

Twist a piece of insulated stiff wire about 12" long from probe back and attach that to a all plastic clothespin (don't want any metal showing that can possibly short out anything) .. probe one end, clothespin on other. Clip the clothespin onto something and bend wire so probe is in front of cooler / radiator intake to see what the air temp going in is. Can position probe wherever you want to know what air temp is.;)

Back