• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Authenticate message in Ubuntu Keeps popping up for sd card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Is there a way to make it auto authenticate this pop up for my sd card everytime I wake it up or turn the laptop on? I have portable thunderbird installed on it since my ssd on chromebook can't handle the 10gb+ of email I have.

Authenticate_001.png

I've never experienced what you are seeing however you are going to want to do a few things to make sure that you don't need authentication for this disk:

While the disk is already inserted do something like this (replace /dev/sda1 with the the sd card device... from your screen shot it appears to be sdb1 at this time)

Code:
stratus@stratus-desktop ~ $ sudo blkid /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="BEDC1FE2DC1F942D" TYPE="ntfs"

Find out what type of filesystem is on the SD Card (most likely vfat):
Code:
mount

This will display gibberish like this:

Code:
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /big_space type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

You will see 'type xfs' or something similar, this value is what goes in the fstab. In my case, this drive is an NTFS drive represented by the fuseblk

Make a directory to mount this to i.e.:

Code:
sudo mkdir /email
sudo chown $USER /email

Take that uuid and edit your fstab:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Insert:

Code:
UUID=BEDC1FE2DC1F942D /email ntfs defaults,user 0 0

This should allow you to mount the SD Card without authentication. It will always mount into /email

Hmm I get a different message now when I boot up. It says unable to mount the device since it's auto-mounted already but at least I don't have to enter my password several times (sometimes) on waking up my laptop now. =)

edit: It appears the drive is now only read only. Is there anyway to change this?

I've never experienced what you are seeing however you are going to want to do a few things to make sure that you don't need authentication for this disk:

While the disk is already inserted do something like this (replace /dev/sda1 with the the sd card device... from your screen shot it appears to be sdb1 at this time)

Code:
stratus@stratus-desktop ~ $ sudo blkid /dev/sda1
/dev/sda1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="BEDC1FE2DC1F942D" TYPE="ntfs"

Find out what type of filesystem is on the SD Card (most likely vfat):
Code:
mount

This will display gibberish like this:

Code:
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /big_space type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /home type xfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

You will see 'type xfs' or something similar, this value is what goes in the fstab. In my case, this drive is an NTFS drive represented by the fuseblk

Make a directory to mount this to i.e.:

Code:
sudo mkdir /email
sudo chown $USER /email

Take that uuid and edit your fstab:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Insert:

Code:
UUID=BEDC1FE2DC1F942D /email ntfs defaults,user 0 0

This should allow you to mount the SD Card without authentication. It will always mount into /email

Last edited:
do an

Code:
ls -ld /your/mount/point

And post the output

Also post the output (screen shot or cut and paste the text) of the exact error, and also what you were doing at the time you generated the error

Hmm after i woke my computer up this afternoon, I was able to make folders and rename folders etc in the sd card. Either way, here's the response:

trustytomlocalhost_001_zps1bf17eee.png

do an

Code:
ls -ld /your/mount/point

And post the output

Also post the output (screen shot or cut and paste the text) of the exact error, and also what you were doing at the time you generated the error

Back