• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Embarrassing displayport question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Itsi

I'm a little ashamed that I cant figure this out on my own, but I've already wasted a few days on it and my research hasn't turned up much.

Here's the issue:I was previously running two r9-270x cards in crossfire and 3 displays. Two displays were using dvi and one display was using a displayport connection. The cable for the displayport monitor was a mini dp too a regular dp. Everything worked great.

Now I have upgraded to two r9-290x and with the same monitor setup. The only difference is the displayport monitor no longer goes from mini to regular. its just a standard displayport cable. The problem now is that when I plug in the displayport monitor I get the error saying the link cannot be established. I tried a different cable, changing drivers (currently on 14.4), checking all settings to make sure its right, I went to try and change the resolution but I cant change it the resolution is just grayed out. I've been googling and searching forums and I just cant seem to find an answer.

ALSO NOTE: if I use an hmdi connection on the same monitor everything works fine.

I'm sure im just missing something simple but I cannot figure it out. thanks in advance.

The only think I can think of is maybe this isn't a displayport 1.2 cable like it was labeled however, i'm not sure if that would cause this issue or not.

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to displays or things like that but have you just tried to run that one monitor with the displayport? Just to see if it would work that way.

Yessir, It seems as though it will attempt to get signal but then goes right back to the black screen

Well hell my apologies but I'd be in the same boat as you asking the guys on this site for help. Hopefully a more knowledgable individual will chime in for ya

Thanks for replying anyway it is appreciated.

Something just occurred to me. Do you have the ability to select the source with those monitors? Perhaps it's as simple as selecting DP as the input source?

Obviously the monitor is not the issue, as it worked on a previous DP card. Either your new cable is bad, or the GPU has a broken port. If you bought the cable separately, what brand is it? There's an astounding variety of quality for cables of the exact same price...

Lvcoyote, Its an Asus VG248QE and I did make sure it was on the correct source but that is a small mistake I could have easily made haha

petteyg359, I tried it with both of the 290x as the primary card and had the same result so I think there is a good chance that not it. The cable however I think is probably the issue.

This is what I bought, I've used the brand before and never had an issue but there's a first for everything:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2E4S8Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did some research and the interwebs tells me this is a better option so I might pick it up and see if that helps:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HVZBE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm using the same cable for DP 1.2 on my UP2414Q, and I use the same brand for all my USB cables. Guess you got a dud.

Hmm I also should note I bought two of them and neither work, so maybe its not the cable? I really don't know what else it would be other then the cable.

Well tried the other card and same exact issue. I should also note that the 2 cables I tried are the same brand and from the same batch so I don't know if it really means much that both don't work.

UPDATE: I purchased the new cable. The monitor still gets the no link error. HOWEVER, now I can change settings on the monitor such as resolution, refresh rate, color etc. Any Ideas?

Another thing I havent mentioned yet is that I used to be able to use the display [port monitor in BIOS and now I cant

Last edited:
This is bizarre. So... you can't change any of the settings? This is way over my head :(

What happens if you take the 290x cards out of crossfire? Maybe it's a driver bug?

No I cant change any setting unfortunately and even out of crossfire Its the same. I didn't see you replied thank you!

Back