• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie help needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnava13

Hello,

I am new to gaming rigs and overclocking. I bought a PC from Vibox UK to use with Flight Simulator X maxed out. My required specs are I7-4770(non K) @ 4.2 (minimum) and as much as I can OC with my GTX 750ti. I am COMPLETELY new to overclocking and have NO idea on what to do. Can anybody start me off? (I will do anything to get the above specs)

My specs:
Galaxy Bubble case (AVP-2720BK)
2x Corsair vengeance 8gb RAM
I7-4770 @ 3.4 (stock)
Palit GTX 750TI @ stock
standard case fans + A medium large processor fan (no idea what it is called)
Gigabyte GA-B85M-G3H motherboard
Corsair RM-750 PSU (require about 80watt safety space for joysticks and other controllers
Please ask if you need any other information.

Thanks,
Arnav

Last edited:
Only way to overclock a non-k version of Haswell chips is through the BCLK increase (in bios).

USually, 104/105 is the max you can reach which is a 3 to 5% overclock.

For your GPU, use MSI afterburner. It usually overclocks in the 1150/1200MHz range.

Once again, NO idea what you just said.
sorry

- - - Updated - - -

can you elaborate?

Sure.

Your CPU, non-k, is not overclockable via the muliplier.

Only think you can do, and it's not worth it IMO, is increase the base clock (BCLK) in bios to 103/104, and sometimes 105. You REALLY need a k version if you want to overclock the CPU.

You get into the bios usually hitting the "Del" or the "F2" key at the very start of boot.

You can overclock you 750 ti though, using utility software like MSI Afterburner (link: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm ).

Good guide her:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-overclock-your-video-card-and-boost-your-gaming-30799346

Edit: FSX using 4 cores, your cpu will [email protected] through all cores thanks to Turbo.

Last edited:
can you guide me through, I just got into the BIOS
edit: never mind
and thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Go to MIT=>Advanced Frequency Settings=>CPU Clock Ratio

Change it to 103.

Check if the PC boots. It should.
Then try 104 and 105.

If your PC refuses to boot, as the mobo features a dual bios, it should boot to default settings after a few loops.

Honestly, you're a total noob, and noobs shouldn't overclock, at all. Let alone BCLK overclocking which is risky and can cause serious instability. If you had an unlocked CPU you could overclock to your heart's content but you don't.

Will the higher CPU frequency help FSX? Yes, in certain situations, it will, but honestly, it'll be fine with the CPU at stock.

What you SHOULD have done is buy a 4790K based system with a Z97 motherboard. That CPU is 4Ghz stock. And no, you can't go buy a 4790K, drop it into your board, and overclock it. You got a rock bottom ronnie cheapo board that doesn't support it.

As it stands you should get pretty decent performance. It wouldn't have hurt you to get a more powerful GPU as FSX really does benefit. Overclock your GPU (post a thread in Nvidia GPUs to be guided through this) and enjoy the game.

Hello, thanks for the responses (that including the rude one from theocnoob),

I realise I need to change components for the specs needed, but can somebody guide me on getting the right ones without spending more money on this build? (Any z97 mobo cheaper than the one I have?) (any 'k' processor cheaper than the one I have)

(I am not looking at running standard FSX, I am looking at a fsx heavily modded by payware.)

-Thanks Arnav

Last edited:
I'd sell the cpu/mobo combo and grab a 4690k plus Asrock Extreme 4 mobo (+/- $350 for both).

FSX is running on 4 cores max, so no need of hyper threading.

I'd sell the 750ti as well and grab a used 280x (twice as fast). They sell for +/- $150 in good shape.

See comparison:
http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1041?vs=1130

Vibox should take my current mobo and cpu back with no added cost, and give me a new one. Is there a combo for a maximum of £20 more?

- - - Updated - - -

I need a mobo with the same bios though

Give the 750ti back as well, and get a 4690k/Asrock Z97 Extreme 4/AMD 280x.

price should roughly equal 4770/B85/750ti (maybe
£10/£20 more).

As OCNoob said the 750ti is weak for FSX.

Rude? Because I called you a noob? Calling someone a noob is not rude. It's just what you are. You're new to this, hence you are a noob. BCLK overclocking is risky and only people who have a lot of experience overclocking should do it. It's not for you.

Do some research and find out what others may be trying with similar hardware may be doing.

Do some research and find out what others may be trying with similar hardware may be doing.

Not a good idea for a newcomer to building to be scrrewing with bclk and that is the only option here. It can cause instability and storagw corruption. The smart thing would have been to do research before building so that a k sku cpu would have been purchased. Its too late forthat now. The op is. Just going to have to make due with no overclocking

Back