• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

corsair force lx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyckah

Looking at getting myself a new ssd here, and liking the looks and price of the force lx 256gb.
500mb/s reads, and 300mb/s writes sounds pretty good, and after some quick googling I'm not seeing any reports of failing drives. Good buy, or am I missing something here?

I lucked out when one of my Corsair Force 3's died on me after updating the bios on my board. Sent in a Force 3 and got back a Force GS which is faster and not refurbished :D

If I had the loot I would jump on the Evo. Got my Force 3's for a song & dance. Figured what the heck, might as well use em.

Ah. Wasn't looking at the egg for prices. Was looking at ncix, as I have one 5 mins away from my house, and the Sammy is $30 more than the corsair there. But they do price match, so I'll see if they will match on the Sammy to bring the price down .

And was also looking for an ssd to replace the drive in my gfs laptop, performance isn't nearly as essential here, more just want price and reliability, are any of those cheap drives any good? Can pick up an adata 256gb drive for $100+taxes, and that price sounds nice.

Look for drives that don't use a Sandforce controller.
I prefer Samsung and Intel for reliability though.

I dunno, I've never had any issues with Sandforce. My current drive has the SF-2282 controller and so far no hiccups. :shrug:

I dunno, I've never had any issues with Sandforce. My current drive has the SF-2282 controller and so far no hiccups. :shrug:

I had four Sandforce SSDs die.
No Samsungs.

Not saying Samsung won't die or Sandforce will die, but I'm sure as Hell not buying another Sandforce based SSD.

Recent Intel drives do use Sandforce controllers actually, although they do their own stringent validation.

Intel doesn't use SandForce's firmware, they write their own and just use the chip. We don't see many (if any) reports of Intel SSD failures.
Until recently (as best as I remember) Intel's RMA rate was lower than Samsung's, but Samsung recently passed them.

Both companies have an RMA rate on their SSD's of less than 1% though.

I was more or less pointing out that Sandforce-based drives can be fine, assuming you're Intel and you have a ton of engineers and money to throw at firmware validation. It was just odd reading "No Sandforce. Intel yes." when Intel makes highly-regarded Sandforce-controller-based drives with in-house firmware since they stopped making their own controllers after the 3XX-series SSDs. Most smaller OEMs making Sandforce drives can be hit or miss of course, and even some in-house designs (IE: Crucial) can be mishandled.

Put in an order for the Samsung.
Sometime between my order goin in, and my order being processed, the drive went out of stock, but they claim they should have it by the end of the week.
got them to price match it to someone that actually had the Sammy for cheaper than the corsair was. Nice. Probably the delay caused by price match that let them sell my drive though, lol

Back