• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help plz...unable to determine source of video problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Really, REALLY exceptionally frustrated and need your help to figure out wtf the problem is with my benching setup. Thought I killed the pcie slots in one of my rampage extreme x48's but when I tried with the new setup (msi xpower and g3258), still experienced the same issue. Got me thinking something else is wrong.

Issue: Monitor does not come to life and display anything on any benching setups.

What I've tried:
- Test monitor and cable. Connected the monitor and cable to a different computer. Monitor came right to life and displayed everything properly. No issue with monitor or cable.
- Test vga card. Will try the vga card in a different computer but have tried 3 other, known working cards in a variety of motherboards with no success. I don't think it's a problem with the vga card....tried 4, nothing worked.
- Test motherboard. Tested with 2 other rampage extreme x48's and an msi z97 xpower ac. All seem to work...mouse/kbd lights up and all setups seem to post/boot but still nothing appears on the monitor.
- Test ram. Tested multiple, known working sticks on all motherboards. Nothing.
- Test psu. Have tried with 3 psu's. No difference.
- Test cpus. Only have 1 1150 cpu but tried multiple, known working 775 cpus in 3 rexes. Nada.

Any ideas???? Driving me crazy now. Was hoping to get some benching in this weekend :( Other thing I tried is plugging the monitor directly into a wall outlet (as opposed to it's normal plug-in spot on a ups, no difference).

tia!!

Just tried the z97 connecting the monitor using the hdmi port. Nada but think it needs a cpu with on-board graphics, doesn't it? Don't think the g3258 has it. Will have to load up an apu.

Apu setup (6800k/ga-f2a85x-up4) is stopping at code A6 Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices. The z97 is stopping at the same place. :/ Tried connecting a different hd (sata), no change.

My g3258 don't need a separate video card, I can plug in the hdmi on the motherboard and it works.

Thanks devlos and Janus67!

Welcome to my own little world of the bizarre! Tried with different (known working) mouse/kbd based on my prior message. No go.

Out of utter frustration and having tried most everything else I can think of....swapped the monitor/cable with a different monitor/cable. Works perfectly!

How weird is that?!? When I tested the monitor/cable the first time....I just brought it next to my 24/7 (which was up and in windows), unplugged the top monitor and plugged in the benching monitor/cable and it worked perfectly. Didn't test it from a cold start but am thinking there's a good chance of it not working. Hypothesis is that something's wrong with the benching monitor which doesn't allow a system to detect it from a cold boot.

Thanks again for the responses! Now off to finish prepping the z97/3258/780Ti for cascade! Have lots of honeydos to go but, hopefully, will get a chance to give the system a go tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

PS- Btw and OT...I am SOOOOO excited to bench this new setup!!! It's a 5.8-6.2GHz cpu so hoping to improve my globals (which currently aren't nearly as decent as my hware boints) in 2D/3D (working on only the older 3d benches atm...hoping for something with more cores for the newer 3d's). Will load quad-7970's after that and see what can be done in 2x-4x xfire.

Thanks man...me, too! Been a frustrating past few days but seem to be back and ready for action.

I had this same problem a year or two ago.

My VGA cable on my secondary monitor I was using with my benchmarking and testing setups had failed and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any video on any system (when it was working fine the day before). I would move the cable around and the video would suddenly come on, but quickly go back out again if the cable went into a position that it didn't like.

In my case, I replaced the cable and then all was fine again.

Nice that yours was a similarly easy fix.

Yeah, we kind of take those type of components for granted, don't we?

Back