• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Verstrata

Hey guys. I've been wanting to build a gaming PC for a while now. I'm working on saving up but I would like to know what goal I'm aiming for. For the gamers, I'm aiming for Skyrim and heavy games with mods. Also, looking to record and just wanna have a good versatile PC that will last, especially for the upcoming games. The one thing I'm confused on is the parts list. Everytime, I get lost in the numbers ( especially motherboards!) and I always quit. Could you help me out with making a parts list? Please reply if we can get a parts list together. Thanks greatly!

Verstrata

1) What is your budget not incl. taxes/shipping?

2) Are you in the USA? Do you live near a Microcenter store?
If not in the USA what country are you in?

3) Does your budget include a monitor? Windows? Mouse? Keyboard? Controllers (ie Xbox 360)?

4) Can you be more specific about the kinds of games you want to play?

5) What resolution do you want to play at? 720P? 1080P? 1440P? 4K?
(You should play at the native resolution of your monitor)

6) Do you need this computer to be very quiet or very small?

7) Do you want to overclock?

Please answer these questions.

Like ocnoob says you need to be more specific. AMD, Intel? There are all kinds of build threads to look through also. Make sure you plan a budget and exactly how powerful you want it. Or if you just want a budget PC.

1) $800-ish (can always go higher)
2) USA. I live near a best buy and thats about it
3) i got everything but OS
4) SKyrim, Crysis 3, GTA V, Minecraft, Sid Meier's Civilization 5, WoW, LoL. I want it to be hable to handle anything at decent-good graphics
5)1080p
6)As long as its not a jet engine, should be good
7)Not real sure on how so nope
Thanks!

Here is a syste that meets your $800 budget exactly

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/mPFCmG

Due to the type of CPU included, you will benefit greatly from overclocking it. This won't cost you any extra money and it will gain you a lot of frames per second in games. We have a guide here on this site in the AMD CPU section. If you follow the guide there is no risk of damaging the CPU or the motherboard. Overclocking is a smart thing to do, especially when you build on AMD like in the above build.

BUT!!- for an extra $200 you can get much better CPU performance in gaming, and massive improvement in the GPU performance, AND an SSD, which makes everything load much, much faster. This is the computer I would suggest you build. That extra $200 will almost double your performance. Worth it I think.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/j4MXsY

The first build is Ok, but the second build can absolutely max the hell out of everything on ULTRA now and for the forseeable future.

Alright. I dont mind the extra $200. So you are postive the second will be a beast?

Also, I don't mind spending a little extra for a lighted case :p DO you know of any that aren't too outrageous and will still work? I can always wire it up, but I'd rather not have to do that

Alright. I dont mind the extra $200. So you are postive the second will be a beast?

The second build murders the first build for not a lot more money, yes. It will obliterate anything you throw at it at 1080P and will do very respectably at 1440P as well.

If you want a lighted case, the best thing to do is to pick up a light, as was already mentioned. You can get cases that already include LED fans, like the 760T. Or you can get whatever case you want and pick up LED fans for it. They don't really light up the inside of your case very well though. For that you want to pick up a light strip.

Honestly, at your budget range, I wouldn't throw any money at anything superfluous like replacing all the fans in the case with LED fans or picking up a light strip, given that you can take that $50 and throw it at a higher capacity SSD or something else that will affect the actual operation of the PC and improve your user experience. A light in your case is cool to show off to your friends, but the coolness factor only lasts an hour. A larger SSD or HDD or a better quality power supply is a benefit that will last you years. There are other practical improvements you can look at too like card readers, fan controllers, etc.

PS- I made a mistake in the second build. I picked a case that didn't have a price for it, so the cost will actually be an extra $50 over what I quoted you. I suggest you pick up a Corsair 200R as that is the best sub $50 case there is in my opinion. You can negate this extra cost by cutting the SSD down to 128GB. 128GB is more than enough for Windows and your most important programs. Game installs can happily exist on your HDD, and if you use Steam (which you should) for your game purchases you can easily make the install directory on the HDD.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/BmCCmG

Here is the build re-configured with the case. I got it down to the same price by switching the power supply and SSD up.
The Corsair CX power supply is half decent, but the one I had chosen for you previously was better quality if you don't mind spending the extra $20.

Also, for comparison, here is a similar build with 2 benefits:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/cfdMnQ

1) it has a better motherboard and CPU allowing overclocking. You can put an extra 1Ghz on the CPU no problem. It's stupidly easy to do.

2) it has a higher capacity power supply allowing you to add a second GTX 970 down the road for even more insane performance and the ability to play games at 4K (4X1080P) resolution.

Personally, I would build the overclockable system, because I am an overclocker. If you're not sure that's something you want, save the $100.
If you choose the build without the Z97 motherboard, you are limited to 1 GPU, as the second slot on H97 boards is a 4X slot, not an 8X slot, and will bottleneck a second GPU significantly.

Last edited:
Alright. Thanks greatly. So the link before the last one is the preferred one?

Also, for Adobe programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, After effects, etc.) would it be better to get a new system or will they still work off this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/cfdMnQ Best

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/BmCCmG Almost as good, no overclocking, single GPU.

If you are doing work in those Adobe programs, an i7 would be a better choice for you, but it's an extra $100.

I'd consider the "best" build and swap the CPU to a 4790K if I were you, but that's going significantly ($300++) over your initial budget that you outlined.

If you want I can configure something that'll come out to about $1000 with an i7, but you'll have to ditch the SSD altogether (I don't recommend that) or go to a crappier GPU (I don't recommend that either)

What's more important to you? Adobe performance or gaming performance?

Gaming. I got a laptop but idk if it would run Adobe...

SPECS:
Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60GHz

Installed Memory (RAM):6.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit

but around $1000 would be nice for this PC. If anything, I'll slowly upgrade.

Gaming. I got a laptop but idk if it would run Adobe...

SPECS:
Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.60GHz

Installed Memory (RAM):6.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit

but around $1000 would be nice for this PC. If anything, I'll slowly upgrade.

Those are some sad laptop specs. Almost as crappy as my laptop. I wouldn't trust it to load a photo of a kiwi, let alone run photoshop.

For about $1000 I suggest you build this then

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/cfdMnQ

Alright theocnoob. Now that you know what I want, (don't worry about Adobe) can you give me one final parts list? And no I don't have an OS

Operating system doesn't have to be with it... How much is the one I need? I know I don't need Ultimate or anything

Back