• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's what I'd do.

Or put it toward a 250GB 840 EVO instead of the 120GB.

How would the price change if I took the 100 off? Or how much would it change if I added it?

Alright, so a local tech store has a video card for $600+ and on black friday, its gonna be on sale for under $250. Should i take advantage? not sure what kind it is

Reading through the thread, folks have given you a lot of useful information and suggestions, but I recommend you take a step back and slow down just a bit.

You're obviously new at this, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but you'll probably want to do a good bit of research on components, assembly, etc, before throwing $1k at a build based off of some strangers' recommendations. (They're quite good recommendations, but still!).

Your local 'tech store' having a GPU for 60% off makes me think that they're trying to pull one over on you. I'd stay away, to be honest.

If you don't plan on overclocking, you can save some cash, or invest that money elsewhere in your rig. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from OC'ing, but if you have no interest in it then there's no sense in wasting your money on hardware to support it.

Somethi

Find out what GPU it is that will be on sale for $250. If it's a 780Ti or an R9 290X, that's a good price, and you should jump on it.

I disagree with pcgamer4life. I don't think you need to do a good bit of research. It's not necessary with the advice that you've been given here. You've been given very good parts lists that fit your budget.

Watch build guides on Youtube. Those are very helpful. Search for Carey Holzman and watch one of his painfully long, painfully detailed build guides. If he doesn't cover a certain step for you, like how to install the CPU cooler you get if it's an aftermarket cooler, simply search youtube for "(your cooler brand and model here) installation guide" and you'll find it. There are a crap-ton of how-to PC videos on youtube. Some are horrid, but it's not hard to find good ones.

If you want to do research, and find out WHY the GTX 970 is currently the most recommended GPU, or why you are better off with a 4690K than an 8350, go for it. Will it gain you anything? No. In the end, the result might just end up being that you take what you gain from limited research and make a bad decision based on it. You've been given the right advice, and enough of it to safely go ahead and build this PC. Don't use Arctic Silver 5, don't build on carpet, use an anti static wrist strap or nitrile rubber gloves, or both if ultra paranoid, and take your time, and don't force anything, ever. You'll be fine. I assure you. This is not rocket science. It's putting 8 or 9 components together. Most things you will deal with only fit one way. Is it possible to make a stupid mistake? Sure. If you connect a USB2 header to a 1394 port, you might cook something on your motherboard. But that only happens to people who have their head in the clouds (or up a dark orifice) and don't follow instructions.

Your motherboard manual, a carey holzman build guide, an anti static wrist strap, and a good magnetized phillips head screwdriver are all you need to get this done.

Alright. I've seen MANY PC builds. Also, as i go, I'll post pictures to make sure everything goes in the right place. Pretty simple on how things fit in places anyways. I'm still working on the type of graphics card.

Alright. I've seen MANY PC builds. Also, as i go, I'll post pictures to make sure everything goes in the right place. Pretty simple on how things fit in places anyways. I'm still working on the type of graphics card.

You only really have 3 choices- a 970, an R9 290 and an R9 290X. If you can get a 290 for $240, take it. If you can get a 290X for up to and including $299, take it. Otherwise, the 970 is the best choice overall at $330(ish) USD. It has the lowest power consumption out of the bunch, which will save you money on your power bill over time. So will having a gold or platinum power supply.

It has the lowest power consumption by over 100W.

Also, paying for a gold/platinum power supply over a bronze unit is more than you'll save in power over the life of the unit.

Nerp. EVGA Supernova 650 is $49.99 right now with discount. Check pcpartpicker. Gold rated.

Yes, after a $20 mail-in.
Also, that unit is brand new to the market. Nobody has done testing on it, therefore I won't recommend it over something tried and true yet.

It's been awhile. I really appreciate the help. But we got the holidays upon is. Which means sales galore. Amazon especially. My question is is it a good idea to take advantage now? I don't have the $1000 yet, but would it be a good idea to get the pieces now while they are cheap, and just keep them until I need to put it in?

If you won't have all the money until March, it's best not to even plan your build yet. New parts will come out. Old parts will change price, etc. There might even be a GTX 960 by then which may be more appealing to you. Save up, come back when you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and are ready to pull the trigger.

Hey guys. so I have completely flipped on the computer idea. I've decided I'm gonna build one, but not as powerful. The new components it needs to accomodate:
Minecraft (max settings, mods, shaders, HD Texture packs, everything)
Recording
Adobe Programs (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
League of Legends
World of Warcraft

That's pretty much it. I'm looking for a budget around $500-ish. I want some extra in case another product comes out, but it doesn't need the heavy graphic games like Crysis 3, BF4, Skyrim and all that stuff. I'm open to buying or building. Thanks!

Back