• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally have budget to upgrade PC... (or get laptop?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

McMoose

Lately I've been visiting the forums asking for help and just honestly procrastinating when it came to finally buying an upgrade... So.. I think my sig shows what i have.. i build the PC 2-3 years ago, with help of the community. I've begun to notice my PC starting to slow down.. Aswell as unable to run games as smooth as before. I enjoy having a good gaming pc, just starting to slow down i suppose, when i alt tab it just takes a bit longer than it did before. I am looking for some nice suggestion to upgrade my pc, Ik a new gpu will be needed idk which.. i wanna be able to run ultra instead of medium.. also I'd like a nice suggestion to a good company that makes GAMING laptops, I am not a programmer, im not a computer genius, not a graphic designer, Strictly gaming. :) SO any good laptop suggestions ive heard digital storm is good any feedback on them? Please let me know. Id like to order something soon.

edit : laptop suggestion wasnt to say it can replace my PC. was simply due to the fact I will be travelling more often so i would like a nice one..

Last edited:
I think the first question will be 'What is your budget?'. To borrow an old adage , speed costs money-how fast do you want to go? There are more knowledgeable people than me here , but I would think your CPU is up to the task. If your system is getting slower it might be time for some spring cleaning of your OS , or a clean install of same. I would lean that direction , then spend my upgrade budget on a nice graphics card (or two). Maybe bump my RAM up to 16 GB , but the card would be my main focus. I'm not a fan of laptop gaming so I have nothing useful there. Falcon Northwest has a fun configurator for laptops. Bring your wallet , though. https://build.falcon-nw.com/Configurator/Configurator?s=4

I think the first question will be 'What is your budget?'. To borrow an old adage , speed costs money-how fast do you want to go? There are more knowledgeable people than me here , but I would think your CPU is up to the task. If your system is getting slower it might be time for some spring cleaning of your OS , or a clean install of same. I would lean that direction , then spend my upgrade budget on a nice graphics card (or two). Maybe bump my RAM up to 16 GB , but the card would be my main focus. I'm not a fan of laptop gaming so I have nothing useful there. Falcon Northwest has a fun configurator for laptops. Bring your wallet , though. https://build.falcon-nw.com/Configurator/Configurator?s=4

like around 800 or so. maybe more, i have a budget around 2500 for a laptop if i decide to get one.

Look at Sager for laptops and a GTX 970 for your desktop.

After 2-3 years a reinstall of the OS wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Also, I'm assuming that Samsung 1TB is an HDD, not an SSD. Look at getting a 500GB 840 EVO for your OS and games.

Yeah you're right I am having trouble finding a OS disk lol, i have the code but i lost my disk.. Meh.. i will look into getting a SSD, I just need to find a darn 970..

I looked around for new 980 and 970 cards when I read the OP. They went predictably fast. Maybe prices will drop enough on older cards to let you get a couple 780s !

I would hold out for a 970 or 980 personally, stock will come back soon. Just keep an eye out for them to come back in stock.

is it worth putting my game on an SSD? the main game my wife and I play is WoW, i play other games on my pc, too that i enjoy but not sure if i really care for putting them on a SSD for faster load times.

True, but the 970 will almost equal it in performance for less money and give you more Vram.

And use almost 100W less power too ;)

is it worth putting my game on an SSD? the main game my wife and I play is WoW, i play other games on my pc, too that i enjoy but not sure if i really care for putting them on a SSD for faster load times.

I would say yes. With a 500GB SSD you can fit quite a few games on there at the same time.

Okay thanks, i will do that. Im gonna read up on how to properly use that link he gave me to re formate once i get SSD, also I lost my cd for my MOBO so idk how i can update my mobo or install it so i can access interet.

Download the drivers for your motherboard from ASRock's site before formatting.
Put them on a flash drive.
Put flash drive in after installing Windows.

Click on the Os you will be using and the download the driver for the LAN that's all you really need. You can always download the rest once the LAN is up and running.

+1 mandrake.
wait and get a 970, pulling the trigger on a 780 will not make you happy.

Back