• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally have budget to upgrade PC... (or get laptop?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Went to best buy and they have nothing so I orders from amazon an external drive and flash drive. Apparently it will be here today
As well

Which Win 7 did you get ? Home Premium 64 bit is a little over 3 GB. The first time I installed Win 7 I was surprised at how big it was ! I had to buy a DVD drive to install it. After installing XP a few (dozen) times from a CD I wondered if it would take longer than the three hours I scheduled . LOL

Which Win 7 did you get ? Home Premium 64 bit is a little over 3 GB. The first time I installed Win 7 I was surprised at how big it was ! I had to buy a DVD drive to install it. After installing XP a few (dozen) times from a CD I wondered if it would take longer than the three hours I scheduled . LOL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Is the windows 7 I bought long ago, and the first link is what i used.

Hoping to do this all today. :)

GPU will arrive shortly according to tracking#.

I put the LAN for my mobo on the flash drive i have, and im trying to download the proper windows 7 Link

That's what I downloaded from the Digital River link I posted , right before I posted the link. Mine was 3.04 GBs. You may want to try downloading a new copy to make sure it's complete.

That's what I downloaded from the Digital River link I posted , right before I posted the link. Mine was 3.04 GBs. You may want to try downloading a new copy to make sure it's complete.

Im just gonna buy a disc, i went to Frys electronics and somehow they had NO WINDOWS 7 DISKS?! I was shocked, they tried to infect me with 8.1 i hate that crap.. Oh well.. My final questions i suppose for this thread is that..

Any more upgrades i need to get? am i good now?

Aswell as , if i am making my SSD my main boot device... How do i clear up my HDD? Since i will be putting my hdd as my secondary harddrive so i can store anything i want on it, and on my ssd it'll be the primary one.

I just noticed your location. If my gear wasn't stuck in a storage unit I would burn you a DVD. I was working on a car near Camelback Rd. and 27th Ave yesterday. All I have is my wife's marginal laptop and no blank DVDs. I love that Fry's! My daughter and I drive my wife nuts when we go there. "Ooh! Look!" , "I wanna go see ..." , "But I don't wanna go yet!". LOL We used to live two blocks from there and my wallet still has a limp.
As for the HDD , my instinct would be load the OS on the SSD and after it's up and running , create the necessary folders and change the file path for Documents , Videos , Pictures , etc., from C:\Windows\Users\(your name)\Documents to whatever you or Windows names the HDD (say 'F:' for example) F:\(your name)\Documents. There is probably a faster and easier way so hopefully someone will jump in with it here !

Right? It's addictive going in frys man. Kids got toys r us, other guys got gamestop us geeks got frys lol... Is there anywhere else that would sell a damn windows copy I just have my damn ssd stairijg me in the face blehh bestbuy don't have disks either.

I don't know of any retail store that'll have a Windows 7 disc.

Get this ISO and use this tool from Microsoft to make the USB stick a bootable Windows installer.

Thanks man..

I just gotta figure out how to clear my HDD now.. I got a few questions for anyone, i am getting bitfenix cables for my psu for better wire management..
I dunno the name of the cord that's connected to the HDD

image (1).jpeg

image.jpeg

The cable to the left, sorry for the dirty *** pc, im cleaning it up soon. i will get a new case after cables come in.

I thought they were just SATA power cables ? And I've seen some computer dust bunnies in Phoenix that would eat a cat if they got out. The dust is ridiculous even with the A/C on at all times. I think it grows like a fungus out here.

I thought they were just SATA power cables ? And I've seen some computer dust bunnies in Phoenix that would eat a cat if they got out. The dust is ridiculous even with the A/C on at all times. I think it grows like a fungus out here.

Yeah its just called a Sata cable also , apparently both are called it..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK7X0S/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

This is it I believe. ANd YES dude its dusty as hell lol, I cant stand it, I just like it in AZ since i am used to the heat, and there is no crazy rain, hurricanes, tonados happening here. so its not TOO bad.

Yeah , a little dusty sometimes....View attachment 155605

lol ya it's pretty dusty but I got everything done it runs great the ssd boot time is like 8 seconds turns off within 2 seconds. It's awesome the gpu is okay I don't was hoping for more consistent fps but Mabe after I try ocing the CPU it'll help boost it? Gonna try using the guide within a couple weeks to see how it goes.. I am just puzzled about my hdd I want it as a storage so I can put my steam games on but it's full if junk. Anyway to clear it ?

If you're sure you have everything you want off the drive you could just reformat the HDD. and congrats on the build! Sounds like you have it running well!

If you're sure you have everything you want off the drive you could just reformat the HDD. and congrats on the build! Sounds like you have it running well!

I appreciate the help from everyone.. IS there anything else i should consider upgrading before stopping my build for now? should i possibly get a new heatsink for my or cpu cooler i mean for OCing?

Meh i have that ill try ocing later i have to wait until world of warcraft expansion, then i will attempt incase i have issues.

You don't need to wait for a new WoW expansion to overclock. Just do it now. It's a good way to pass the time. Also, installing the cooler outside the case is usually easier than installing it inside the case, so its better if you get everything at once. The hyper 212 EVO is cheap and cheerful.

Back