• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random PC Freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK. Since messing around with the cables my second HDD is now getting stuck at 100% percent utilisation. I think I have a shoddy SATA connection.

are you at stock clocks? Please give us a screenshot of cpu-z open it as many times as it has tabs, show each tab, (I'm wondering about a memory issue).

are you at stock clocks? Please give us a screenshot of cpu-z open it as many times as it has tabs, show each tab, (I'm wondering about a memory issue).

Yeah I am. I'm thinking the same. I have ran memtest but maybe it's a compatibility issue?

COU1.PNG
CPU2.PNG
CPU3.PNG
CPU4.PNG
CPU5.PNG
CPU6.PNG

Memory slot 2 has the same info as 4.

If you're still getting the freezes/crashes try raising the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25v and see if it clears it up. 16Gb is a lot of memory for AMD IMCs and rendering is likely using most of it. This will give it a bit of a boost. Also set the ram .05v over rating for that speed.

If you're still getting the freezes/crashes try raising the CPU_NB voltage to 1.25v and see if it clears it up. 16Gb is a lot of memory for AMD IMCs and rendering is likely using most of it. This will give it a bit of a boost. Also set the ram .05v over rating for that speed.

I'm afraid that didn't work either. If anything It crashed earlier than before during a render. Usually it'll last a couple of mins before crashing but this time it lasted about 3 seconds. That may just be a coincidence though.

Ok then if that crashed you sooner my guess would be the IMC in the CPU is geeting hot and unstable. Drop the CPU_NB back to auto and the ram speed to 1600 at the current timings. I'm afraid that the TX3 IIRC isn't a very good cooler for the 8 core FX. The added heat from the nb voltage was too much for it. Since you're still at stock clocks I would suggest, at least till you get a better cooler to try to downvolt the CPU a bit. Try it around 1.32v set the LLC on high. This should cool it down a bit. The lower ram speed will also help the CPU out. If this works then it's definately an overheating issue.

Not for nuthin', but I had that at post 2.
Temps were too high for a stock set CPU with an aftermarket cooler from the get go.

Not for nuthin', but I had that at post 2.
Temps were too high for a stock set CPU with an aftermarket cooler from the get go.

MR SCOTT said:
Post #2 >> Heat related. Not enough cooling power.

Well I will just be. You did say at stuff back yonder. Wow. Hehehe. You be rokken mad sir.

It is heat or a crappy cpu like I was just working with in my long arse thead about FX processors. It hated high CPU_NB and would not let me really clock the shett out of it either. IMC weak and cooling too little in my situation fo use enough CPU_NB voltage or heat hit me in the face. Compromise was the order of the day for me or I could get more cooling. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

The more accurate and inclusive the info you can give us...

...the better might be our suggestion.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2767&page=4
Below are some cpu air coolers by the ranking at Frosty Tech after testing as an AMD cooler, not Intel since they may do good on AMD and suck on Intel and often vice versa.

Thermaltake Frio

Noctua NH-D14

Noctua NH-U14S

X2 Products Eclipse IV

Coolermaster TPC-812

Coolermaster Hyper 612

Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme << might be found used at a good price.

Thermalright Ultra-120 << might be found used at a good price.

Prolimatech Megahalems (80CFM) << might be found used at a good price.

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo << the least we 'ever' recommend for mild O/C.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) << That ram may have too tall heat spreaders to allow fitting just any air type
cpu cooler.

You really need to ensure the fan/cooler fins will mount perpendicular to the ram and not oriented
with the ram. Even then a 'thick' but with little clearance between the mobo and fins on
the cooler may cause the cooling fan to interfere with the ram sinks.

You need to find the heighth of the ram and then the distance between the bottom of fins to the mobo and mounting orientation of the cooler you are interested in. Price varies greatly between the only OK Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and some of the
better ones listed above it.

Most of the higher rated cpu air coolers can be mounted in most any orientation with
the use of an optional mounting kit.

Information like this is helpful after knowing how tall the ram is with heatspreader.
The Noctua NH-U12S heatsink stands 158mm tall, with the bulk of it elevated 41.5mm for clearance of adjacent memory slots and VRM heatsinks. Information like that from a review or from the dimensions at the cooler website is an absolute must.

If you case has cooliing holes cut in bottom of the case where power supply is mounted, I would turn the bottom mounted power supply over and let it get cool air from outside the case. I would also move what look like optical drives up to the top together so they are not down lower blocking the fans blowing in from the front. That long video card blocks most air from the lower fan blowing in from the front of the case. So it does not help as much as it could.

How much you might spend and how wide is the case as measured across the rear. A number in the 7.5 inches or greater is almost a must for a decent air cooler to fit.
RGone...ster.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I've ordered a new cooler. The only thing that makes me think that it might not be a heat issue is that I can play battlefield 4 for a couple of hours and have no problems but I can't play a flash video on my second monitor with Maya open; AI suit says that the CPU temp is around 34 degrees and i'm using about 4-5% CPU usage and about 3GB ram. It will just freeze, which I find odd. Anyway when the new cooler comes i'll report back.

Hardlocks are generally heat or power related. The cooler is the cheaper thing to try first. If it doesn't help, suspect the motherboard. ;)

Come let us reason...

MNIO said:
The idle temp of the CPU hovers around 40 odd degrees and 50 odd under load. But IIRC I was also getting freezing with my old Phenom II X6 cpu that used to be in the system.

I dont get a BSOD, any crash dumps or logs other than unexpected reboot. I tried driver verifier but It still freezes without creating a dump, although it seemed to be harder to purposely crash the system whilst it was enabled.

I must say that with my own problems, I have not paid much attention to this post other than knowing people like Mr. Scott have done this stuff for more years than many of the posters in here have even been around. He thought heat and I simply agreed. But read on below.

When I see an idle temp of 40c odd degrees, I have a problem in my thinking. I know good contacting (even air coolers) will show temps below the temp of the room the computer is in. We know this cannot happen but when that temp which should be showing an errroneously low temp does not show the low temp...well there is almost always a cooling issue.

You also say that the problem was occurring to some extent even with your old Thuban 6 core processor. You have changed >> I have tried replacing the PSU, GPU and swapped the HDD for an SSD. It has also had a new CPU. When I see that many changes and the problem is still there; I always suspect more than one thing.

Hard crashes with NO BSOD reports or dumps, almost always mean a problem with power, heat, or ram and generally in that order of most likely to happen. IF you changed to a decent power supply, then we can rule that out as a cause. That brings us to the next two that I have seen give hard crashes. The heat and the ram. Now you say you have ordered a new cpu cooler but you do not say which one. Would have been nice to know if you were just buying something else less than optimum. But onward.

So in theory we have handled a possible power issue. Theoretically we have a Cpu Cooler on the way to apply toward the heat issue. That would leave us with a ram problem to perhaps have to investigate. Time will tell.

What bothers me is when the cooler comes and is installed accurately just about everything has been swapped out but the motherboard. I mean look at what is changed. You have addressed drivers it seems. So why the crash under heavy render load? There is something a problem before the FX processor and a problem not yet addressed with all the hardware changes. We will see what happens after the cpu cooler change.

I would suggest this after you get the new cooler mounted so we can see what is going on inside your case to a greater extent than we have now.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...

OK. Well I did about 5 mins of Prime95 and the CPU temp got up to almost 80 degrees so I stopped it. I didn't get a crash though. Under my normal conditions the CPU never gets that hot and It usually crashes way before then. Anyway if it is of much use I'll post the screens of the CPUZ and HWMonitor.

hwmon.PNG
cpuz1.PNG
cpuz2.PNG
cpuz3.PNG

Usually when It crashes, I am doing somthing video related, watching a video, rendering video, etc. However I have tried 3 different GPUs in the system including one AMD card. I have also noticed it is less likely to crash with only one monitor connected instead of two.

Thanks for the continued help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the cooler I ordered was a Noctua NH-D14

Last edited:
Wait until you get your cooler before trying to push your system. You don't want to cause any heat related damage to your system/

Back