• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my bloody dilemma !!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight.iran

Registered
hello all,please help me guys.

my system:

spec..jpg

i had sold my GTX 780 and decided to buy Asus GTX 970 STRIX x 2 for 2 way SLI.
but recently i found out that using SLI have many limits such as buying a better power and also a better cpu cooler ( water cooler ) due to an issue known as BottleNeck !
my friend told me if you want to get 100% performance from 2 cards you have to OC your cpu up to 4.5GHz and cool it by a better cooler.
as i am not into OC and as i know, overclocking a hardware for long time use will definitely decrease it's life time ! i can't convince my self that using at 3.5 GHz vs 4.5GHz will have same results in CPU life time and it's stress ! would they be same ? i don't think so really
by this, i think SLI will be hard and annoying for me !

now, i made another decision and want to ask you to help me between these:

1: buy 970 x 2 ,,, a new power ,,, water cooler ( my cooler is Deep Cool ice matrix 400 ) at a really higher price in compare to #2
2: buy a gtx 980 and nothing more. with almost half price of #1

as i calculate, 980 gives average 15 fps more than 970.
and 970 x 2 give average 35 fps more than 980.
both have calculated in 17 games at 1920 * 1080.

i really have been confused ! please help me... thanks again.

You play@1080p/60Hz, right?

Then ONE 970 is enough to max out every game, as you monitor won't display more than 60FPS...

Your "friend" has given you bad advice again. Same friend that tried to help with memory settings? You won't bottleneck with the CPU left at stock with either GPU setup.

Your "friend" has given you bad advice again. Same friend that tried to help with memory settings? You won't bottleneck with the CPU left at stock with either GPU setup.

yes he is the same :p
can i be sure that my CPU won't bottleneck ?
can i use 970 SLI at full performance without any OC or water cooler?

if your at 1080p, a single 970 will be all you will need, I game at 1080 and a 760 is plenty for me in game.

I would stop listening to this friend and ask us instead.....

Yes, sure, no bottleneck.

And as stated, @1080p, a single 970 will allow you to play EVERY game @60FPS with max detail for at least a year to come.

Adding a second one is only worth it if you're benching (which is not the case I guess) or really in need of a big e-penis ;)

Edit:

And by the time your GPU won't allow max settings, you could either buy a second one and go SLI, or, better IMO, sell it and get the new top dog player at the time being.

thanks a million guys !
i took my answer !
i will buy one 970 until i need another one !
and a new cooler + new PSU

Your going to notice very little difference between a GTX 970 and your current GTX 780. The GTX 970 uses less power than your current GTX 780 too, so if your current power supply runs the GTX 780 it will have no problem running the GTX 970 :)

I wouldn't sell GTX780 but if you already did that then get single GTX970 and check if all is working as good as you need. If no then buy second card. For 1080p you for sure won't need 2 cards.

GTX970 = ~200W max including some OC. 4770K after OC no more than 120W. All other stuff about 50W so for one card it's good to have 500W, for two about 650-700W so it won't run at 80%+ load.

firstly i should appreciate you guys for answering all my questions patiently.
secondly, i decided to change my PSU from Green 750w OC to Enermax Platimax 1000W Platinium.
and changing cooler from Deep Cool Ice Matrix 400 to a mid range water cooler, Enermax Liqtech 120X-HP for a better and cooler CPU system.it can be helpful i think.

the last thing is VGA,
i like to have a pair of 970 instead of one 980. as i calculated according to TechPowerUp 980 & 970 SLI reviews, a pair of 970 will have average 35 fps more than a 980 in 17 games !
i want to know, in worst case, if BottleNeck happend, how many percents of performance will i lose proximately ? how many fps will i lose proximately ?
for example from 35 fps , how many will lost ?
Thanks Again

I wouldn't sell GTX780 but if you already did that then get single GTX970 and check if all is working as good as you need. If no then buy second card. For 1080p you for sure won't need 2 cards.

GTX970 = ~200W max including some OC. 4770K after OC no more than 120W. All other stuff about 50W so for one card it's good to have 500W, for two about 650-700W so it won't run at 80%+ load.

yes, definitely. i'm going to buy first one and i will buy second one if i need !
but, don't you think my friend 750w will be less for 970 x 2 ?

There is absolutely no need in upgrading your PSU.

It's fine for CPU+2GPU's OC'ed.

CPU is 100w with a high OC, GPU's are 225w max each (power limit).

You are throwing money away.

Again, if you use a 1080p/60Hz monitor, a single 970 is more than enough to play everything maxed out, and your screen cannot display more than 60FPS (60Hz).

If you really want to spend money, keep your psu, sell the 780, buy a 980 and a 1440p monitor.

There is absolutely no need in upgrading your PSU.

It's fine for CPU+2GPU's OC'ed.

CPU is 100w with a high OC, GPU's are 225w max each (power limit).

You are throwing money away.

Again, if you use a 1080p/60Hz monitor, a single 970 is more than enough to play everything maxed out, and your screen cannot display more than 60FPS (60Hz).

If you really want to spend money, keep your psu, sell the 780, buy a 980 and a 1440p monitor.

i have Asus VG248QE 144HZ monitor.
and about PSU. i have asked many persons + you and most of them said you at least for a good performance need 850W and it will be better if i have a 1000w. ( maybe for future i will need it )

750W is overkill for a 4770K and two 970s or two 980s. Stock or OC'd.

i have Asus VG248QE 144HZ monitor.
and about PSU. i have asked many persons + you and most of them said you at least for a good performance need 850W and it will be better if i have a 1000w. ( maybe for future i will need it )

So, go for 2x970's.

As we all say on the forum, your PSU is more than enough for 2 overclocked 970's/980's and an overclocked cpu.

There is absolutely NO REASON to change for a 1000w.

I don't know who you asked, but they sure don't know what they are talking about...

But, it's your money, isn't it?

Back